No announcement yet.

Replacement electric fuel pump quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement electric fuel pump quality?

So after breaking down last night and getting towed home, I spent quite a bit of time troubleshooting this morning and diagnosed it has the fuel pump. All the local parts store have one in stock in the $115-125 range, but I'm concerned they are just repackaged Chinese pumps that you can get on Ebay for $30. What brand of pump do you folks recommend? I don't want to buy a $30 pump and have the car die in the middle of the road 6 months later and paying more doesn't always guarantee better quality.
    Rick
    1993 Ford Festiva
    1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
    1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
    2000 Ford E350

Rockauto.com has several fuel pumps in the $20-40 range. I'd buy there before eBay.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Personally I don't think it's that critical- and I'd never pay those $100-plus prices.

And after all, it IS an ASIAN car already- and a good economical reliable one too. Not your Daddy's Reliant K.

Comment

IIRC, Denso/Nippondenso is the factory brand. I'd stick with that.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by harpon View Post
          Personally I don't think it's that critical- and I'd never pay those $100-plus prices.

And after all, it IS an ASIAN car already- and a good economical reliable one too. Not your Daddy's Reliant K.
          I wouldn't put Japanese and Chinese quality in the same group. It's going to take China a few years to catch up to Japan's abilities, plus if people don't want to spend the money on quality products, they will keep making junk. I don't think $100+ is out of line for a quality pump. I'm sure the factory one must have been $200+ from Ford. I just don't want to pay $100+ for the same pump that's $40 just because someone put it in a different box.

I bit the bullet and bought a Delphi from Autozone since I had a 20% off coupon. By the time I waited for the cheaper pump to come in, I would be about even with the fuel used driving my van to work for a few days. I let it run for an hour and it didn't shut off. I'm going to head into town and give it a test drive.
          Rick
          1993 Ford Festiva
          1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
          1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
          2000 Ford E350

Comment

Working...
          X