Festiva is a supercar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva is a supercar

So I realize some folks here have fast cars that turn corners well, and other have fast cars that go in straight lines. Have you ever raced someone and won only to hear them say "well my car could be fast too if it only weighed 2000 lbs." Or, "You're making 3x the factory horsepower, if my car made that much power you would have lost". I'm just preparing myself for discussions like this once it happens. What do you tell mustang owners who are sore losers that feel like they've been beaten by a go cart and not an actual car.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

"Typical problem at Le Mans. A slower car getting in the way"
    - Gulf Porsche team Manager after Steve McQueen ran his car up the rear of a Corvette in "Le Mans" 1971

Last edited by harpon; 04-16-2016, 04:16 AM.

Comment

There was a quote when I was into Neons. "Racing a Neon is like getting into a fight with a girl. You can't brag about it if you win, and you hope nobody finds out about it if you lose."

I don't think there's a "fix" for sore losers. I'd just thicken my skin and laugh at them, personally. I mean that's like saying a drag bike is only that fast because it's so light, or a top fuel is only that fast because it has so much HP.

Well, yeah, that is why. Don't wanna get dusted? Don't throw your hat in the ring.
      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

90 percent of the people I talk to at the track (road coarse) love the Festiva. They like it when I pass them because it's something different and entertaining. 10 percent of the people think the car is unsafe and not fit for the track. Through the years though, the 10 percent have quieted down.
        Usually people that actually run their cars on a track, whether it be road, autocross, or drag strip, don't have as much of the ignorant ego that you see on the street or at car shows. Most poeple know that the race track is no place to bring your ego.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

When I bought my first one at Sunset Ford in California in 1997, taking a chance with 175 k already on the dial- the salesclerk called it a "little commuter car" when I took it out- my first reaction was it really didn't seem very powered up- but it ran and it ran and I sold it again when I had to after 275K without having to do any major repairs.

Comment

Anyone who doesn't understand "Power to Weight Ratio" shouldn't race to begin with.

I was just looking around at GVWR/GAWF/GAWR specs, and a 1991 Mustang GT LX is rated 3160lbs, as opposed to 2650 for the 1991 Festiva I just got. That's a mere 510 pounds, but it's enough when a different engine/tranny package is installed. A 302 equipped Mustang can weigh in at 4840 (stock).

With Festiva's a V8 engine isn't an option - nor is a V6 really. But either one would add a huge amount MORE weight to the car than the 16V Turbo swaps that are common to Festies. When a Mustang goes from a four cylinder to a V8, the weight of the engine about doubles, so they lose a bit in the upgrade no matter how much power they make.

* There's a lot of numbers out there, the 2014 - 2015 Mustangs are rated around 3650 curb weight, plus or minus some change.
            Last edited by Greywolf; 04-16-2016, 10:26 PM.
            Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

SO i got a full day of playing around with lucifer today! I found 2 different mustangs and had them both for snacks.

They wouldn't roll down the window at the next light. So i have yet to come up with a counter to their BS.
              1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
              1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
              1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
              19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
              1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
                SO i got a full day of playing around with lucifer today! I found 2 different mustangs and had them both for snacks.

They wouldn't roll down the window at the next light. So i have yet to come up with a counter to their BS.
                Lol, that makes me smile

Comment

Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post

Just tell them that it's just a 1.6l

Comment

It's pretty silly that our cars get up and go with that displacement. I guess Honda's have allot of engines in the sub 2l bracket, but I can't think of others that go that small. Toyota typically has bigger 4 cylinders, as does Nissan.

Comment

Well my brother is working on an old toyota mr2. 1.6L turbo mid engine rear drive 2 seater that will have over 400hp when he is done. They go pretty good and are supposed to handle well. Also the audi 1.8L motors can be tuned for quite a bit and go fast because they come with a decent awd system but they are slightly heavier cars. My brother in law is making a twin turbo kit to sell for them. He isnt quite done yet but i rode in his prototype version and its pretty sweet and fast. Full boost right from 1500rpm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have 2 audi tt. A 180 and a 225. Both turned up quite a bit. They are super heavy cars tho.
                        1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
                        1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
                        1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
                        19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
                        1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

It made 1 more psi after this pull for 374 hp. Power to weight.
                          1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

You need to do something about those wheels pulling forward under power Mike. Can't be good for traction.
                            91GL BP/F3A with boost
                            13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

You have to figure the load on the dyno is different than the street. It's trying to pull itself forward on the dyno. On the street the car is rolling behind it so the flex is less. I'm sure on the street it pulls the tires forward but probably not as bad as you see in the vid. Slicks no traction loss.
                              1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Working...
                              X