High-ish mile Aspire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High-ish mile Aspire

Hey guys, new around here. Just doing some research. I've been looking for a good commuter car for doing 75-100mi round trip says this summer for a job. Stumbled upon a 97 Aspire with a 5 speed with about 260k mi on the clock. Relatively clean, downside is I really don't know how well it was maintained.

After doing a little reading, there are some people that have gone over 300k without any major engine work, some only 150k.
    Any previous maintenance/motor work is unknown by the current owner.
    Could anyone shed some light on this subject for me? Good purchase at $800-1000? It'll probably get 6000-8000mi put it on this summer.

Weather or not this car is worth $800-$1000 depends on the rest of the car. What kind of condition is the rest of it in? These motors go a long ways with not much maintinance and almost forever if well maintained. I have 280k miles on mine and have abused it a bunch and its still good. The engines are pretty cheap and easy to replace if that ever needed to be done. Maintinance to get it in good shape if there are problems is also easy and very cheap compared to other engines.
    If it were me i would be more concerned about the rest of the car than the motor. It could easily cost you more to pay a someone to replace 4 struts than to change the motor yourself on a saterday. So how is the rest of it? Rust, struts, seats, general wear and tear....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Welcome to the Forum!

Price is a little high IMO, for that mileage; he probably engineered a little wiggle room into it, for dickering purposes. Hows the rust situation, especially the rear wheel wells, and where the rear beam bolts to the unibody?

Are you a good all-around mechanic? It's a better deal if you can do most/all your own work yourself. Cheaper by far, and you control parts quality.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

The engines are rock solid,the Transmissions can be a Headache.
        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
        X