Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to truly get out of the festiva/aspire game??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to truly get out of the festiva/aspire game??

I bought my first aspire when I turned 18. It was a 97 automatic and I had some issues with it, mostly because the seller had been dishonest. Fast forward a couple years and a few different cars later. I bought another aspire, this one a 97 5 speed. I loved this one so much and did a lot of fun little custom work to it which I have a thread of on here. After finishing college and moving back home, while working asset protection at my local Walmart I was coming back from break and stumbled upon a white SE. I had to wait out the owner of this beauty.

Minutes later a wonderful lady came to the car where I introduced myself and explained to her the crazy following of these little cars and the festivas. I gave her my number and the site address and told her that if she ever wanted to sell the vehicle to get ahold of me. Months down the road I landed a better job and bought a Cobalt SS and was blinded by its speed and power windows so much that I sold my aspire to a friend for $100 for his first car. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he will have something so awesome for his first car, I just miss the ol girl. A few months after buying the cobalt the lady with the SE calls me asking me if I'm interested in the car still because the fuel pump had went out and she would rather get rid of it. I explained how I was sort of out if he aspire game and I explained to her how to access the fuel pump easily and repair it.

Fast forward a little over a year later, I'm driving and alongside the road I see a white SE aspire. Long story short it's the same one and I leave my number on the windshield. The lady calls me and I find out its for sale. After talking awhile she tells me "this car will be waiting for you when you have the extra money saved up, it's definitely going to be yours. I'm going to save it for you." 95 SE with a new clutch and fuel pump. She wants 700 bucks and I'm almost there, had a setback with an AR15 purchase lol. I'm super pumped to be getting back in the game soon. Anyone else have any stories on how they keep getting pulled back in?

I'm trying to get out. It's impossible.
    '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
    '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
    '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
    '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
    '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
    '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Getting out all depends on your license plate.

Comment

No. I was gone for a few years. I only have 1 now, but I don't see myself leaving again.

Even a bone stock one makes me smile so much.
        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

If your asking for advice, buy a 914!
          Simpler, faster, handles better, carries more (well maybe cargo not people), more stylish, worth more. Just plain fun.
          you will still have the oppertunity to wrench on it like you inevitably must with the Aspire/Festy
          If you do youll never look back

Flame ON htd
          Last edited by needragr; 04-26-2016, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by needragr View Post
            Simpler, faster, handles better, carries more (well maybe cargo not people), more stylish, worth more. Just plain fun.
            you will still have the oppertunity to wrench on it like you inevitably must with the Aspire/Festy

Flame ON htd
            Blah

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

It's just a car to me. A dependable one that, for reasons of selling mas quantities of fossil fuels, they no longer offer. I don't want to swap engines, do 'aspire swap" brake/ wheel things. I took the chance on the first 88 because it was cheap back in 97- 175 k and I drove it another 100,000 with having to do very little before having to sell out, and in the meantime bought an Aspire that has been good too- And so while I could still afford another jalopy, I got another '91 Festy- just in hopes of maybe having a car to get to the store in in my old age, as the world hot rods around me, eliminating more people from car ownership all the time, and the prices skyrocketing- the real Climate Crunch has not even begun.

So it's not a game to me-just a very economical environmentally friendly car I got a lot of cheap use out of. The listings are harder to find now- funny how time flies, girls.

:color:
              Last edited by harpon; 04-26-2016, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Mine have never even been dependable. Still can't leave them alone.
                Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Flame ON htd
                  I challenge you sir, to a duel. Budget to budget, you build a 914 and I'll build a festiva and we will see what is faster. I'm very confident that I know the outcome already. Keep in mind that I'm a 15 year cardholder of the PCA, and have tuned many many P cars, both air and water cooled. My non turbo festiva will turn quicker laps than my Cayman S. Mid engine cars are a handful to drive on the limit. The Festiva can grab any line on the track with very little effort, carrying more momentum than the M/R cars with their pendulous mass always trying to spin the car around. Ahh the physics of speed and how it's been so misunderstood by the automotive community for so long....
                  Last edited by Advancedynamix; 04-26-2016, 01:07 PM.
                  Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Simpler, faster, handles better, carries more (well maybe cargo not people)
                    Not quite seeing how a 914 can carry more cargo than a Festiva. Had two people, two mountain bikes, two sleeping bags, cooler, camp stove, tool box and tent inside our Festiva at one time. Can't imagine getting all that in a 914, maybe on but not in.

As for the question posed by the original poster.... the simple answer is no with this question back to you: Why would you want to get out in the first place?
                    Ian
                    Calgary AB, Canada
                    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

I thought I knew what was good for me when I sold my aspire. Little did I know they have a way of finding you. I'm just pumped to be getting this SE soon for such a decent price!!

Comment

My festiva has been through more than any car should have. It handles rain and snow well on good tires, gets good mileage, and with 282k on the clock, still chugging along after routine maintenance. Long live festivas! Did I mention I hauled a transmission home last week?
                        1993 GL Auto, completely stock, 283k miles, rebuilt motor at 253k and still factory transmission
                        2002 Honda Civic Ex, 180k miles, 5 speed
                        1987 Toyota Pickup 4x4 single cab, short bed, wrecked and in back yard
                        1984 Toyota Pickup 4x4 xtra cab, short bed, restoration getting a 4.3, 700r4, and 33s
                        1984 Toyota 4runner 4x4 rusted top to bottom, but using for parts

Comment

Hauled an electric range in the Aspire last summer, and once hauled a spinet piano in the back of the 88 Festiva.

Comment

I hauled 700 pounds of sheep wool in the back of my festiva about 150km. Wish i had taken a picture. Other vehicles maybe woulda fit that much wool but you wouldnt want to. With the festiva you can just shove till it all fits and wait a few days for the smell to leave after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=needragr; Flame ON htd

Its best to starve Troll's,not flame them. The burning hair smell gets in your nostrils,stays there for days...
                              Last edited by nitrofarm; 04-26-2016, 11:16 PM.
                              Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                              Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                              Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
                              X