Just picked up a Festiva for My Little Brother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just picked up a Festiva for My Little Brother

So yesterday we picked up a Festiva for my little brother, found it on craigslist in Jacksonville listed as a Fiesta for $500. I ended up talking him down to $300 because it doesn't run for some reason.
    20160428_182702.jpg20160428_182713.jpg20160428_182722.jpg20160428_182803.jpg20160428_182959.jpg20160428_183122.jpg20160428_183456.jpg

It looks like it has been sitting for a good while so the fuel is probably bad and someone put what looks like a Lawnmower fuel filter on it so I think that may be why it isn't running.

Also does anyone know what is with the Antenna on the Passenger side? Iv'e never seen that before...
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

The Odometer says 74K but there is a sticker on the door jam saying that it had been replaced at 30K so around 104K miles. Someone had it setup to tow behind a RV and it bent the bumper a bit but that's nothing a hammer can't fix.
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

Comment

Looks like fun! Is there an aftermarket stereo? People used to like antennaes that would go up and down on their own and install them in random spots...
      Is it carbed or fuel injected? What year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It is a 93 efi. I think it has the original stereo in it, I'll have to look today. There is a cap on the driver side where my other Festiva's antenna. Its is funny buying used cars and seeing some of the installs and "fixes" that people do to them. I have a Nissan that someone had tied into a bunch of the wiring everywhere and then I found Strobes in the Tail lights put in with Wood Screws and what looked to be liquid nail..... so the little tiny fuel filter does not surprise me.
        sigpic

Comment

When I was posting this this morning I was think that I need to get a picture of our Festiva's together. I didn't realize that I had a picture with Mine in the background in the Garage. 20160428_182733.jpg

Plus my Wife's race horse.:dontknow:
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
            It is a 93 efi. I think it has the original stereo in it, I'll have to look today. There is a cap on the driver side where my other Festiva's antenna. Its is funny buying used cars and seeing some of the installs and "fixes" that people do to them. I have a Nissan that someone had tied into a bunch of the wiring everywhere and then I found Strobes in the Tail lights put in with Wood Screws and what looked to be liquid nail..... so the little tiny fuel filter does not surprise me.
            Ha, strobes in the tailights, thats funny. I worked as a mechanic and then in autobody for a bunch of years and got to see a ton of terribly hacked vehicles. Wiring is one of the worst. Sometimes you park em outside overnight so they dont burn the shop down, lol.
            When i bought mine it had been in an accident. Hit the front end then rolled onto its side or roof. Hood and front fender on one side were and inch and a half shorter on one side and had about 15 pounds of bodyfiller on each. My wiring harness was hacked and spliced everywhere and had had a few fires. I had a fire on my transmission while i was working on it so i took a piece of wire and tied all the wires up so they couldn't short to the tranny. Problem solved! Lol.

Comment

I really don't see the point to moving the antenna to the pass side, but if you wanted to do a C/B install on it - you could put a whip in both spots and have a dipole setup! -Or maybe not, see below

DIPOLE antennas make the radio more directional. It focuses the beam spread to the front and rear, giving the radio more reach ahead and behind while picking up less side chatter from away from the road. That's why truckers have C/B's like that, they aren't interested in anything but what happens on the highway. The other reason is because the trailer (or VAN) can block a single antenna signal

There is better info here:

204" apart is ideal, but nothing that wide fits in a single lane on a highway. it can be divided by four - giving 51 inches, or about 4 1/4 feet

The basic is that if the wavelength doesn't match, the effect will be thrown off.

Ehh... Who cares in this age of cell phones?

I still think the extra antenna spot could be useful. Maybe not for a C/B but for a scanner, or a dedicated weather receiver or something. For all I know, the car was owned by a basketball player, and the original antenna threatened to poke their eye out... :fofd:
              Last edited by Greywolf; 04-29-2016, 03:55 PM.
              Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

You have the rare antenna delete plate on the drivers side. Hang on to it for sure!!
                Jerry
                Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Originally posted by Team Lightning View Post
                  You have the rare antenna delete plate on the drivers side. Hang on to it for sure!!
                  I didn't know this was a thing so I googled it. There is one on ebay for $12.75 if anyone else feels the need for one.
                  sigpic

Comment

So I got the car started yesterday after throwing a battery on it and trying for a couple of minutes. The was a bit of Corrosion on the Ignition Coil wire on the Distributor side so I cleaned it up a little bit and like I said before it seems to me that the fuel filter is probably not the greatest for it on top of old fuel. I also realized that after I started it that there is a crack in the plastic intake hose that lets in a decent amount of unmeasured air which probably didn't help. I had to hold the pedal down to get it started but once it puttered into an idle I let up off the gas slowly and it idled for about 5 minutes before I shut it down.

There is going to be a lot of tune up work and cleaning because the engine bay is oddly corroded/rusty looking but we will have this thing running right in no time.

One question for you guys though... This is our 3rd Festiva and all of them have had an engine tapping noise while running. Is this just a normal thing??? Iv'e checked all of my lifters and they all seem tight but still a tapping noise...
                    sigpic

Comment

Here is the Video of it right after I started it. You can see how everything is kind of Nasty looking inside. The Headliner looks moldy too. I think it was sitting in a swampy yard for a good while or something...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...w?usp=drivesdk
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X