Power Steering Cost Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering Cost Question

I am Interested in buy a Ford Festiva 1993 and I was just wondering how much it will cost to add power steering to it
    Thank you In advance

Just the cost of the pump, pump bracket, pump belt, power steering rack, fluid reservoir, hoses, steering column to rack boot and a wheel alignment. Ask me how I know.

Comment

Originally posted by turkeyofdojima View Post
      I am Interested in buy a Ford Festiva 1993 and I was just wondering how much it will cost to add power steering to it
      Thank you In advance
      Pretty pricey very difficult to find to be honest

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Comment

Ive only found 2 ever. Ive sold 2 Brave has one and bolokid has the other.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Comment

I see, How much will it cost though
          Around $1000?

Comment

you're question is simple but too open ended to answer accurately. you might find a complete used set up someday in the FS section. guessing around $200. or you might buy pieces one at a time used as they become available. some parts are still available new from Korea. pump, rack, reservoir, etc. and with shipping would approach $1000. who installs it? you? free! if not maybe a festy fan near you with 4 mouths to stuff and rent due might take on the project. $200-300? or nobody bites and you're stuck using a garage or dealer. if they'll touch it. with shop time, maybe some new hoses and hardware, what? $1000? so that's my answer. from $200 to $2000. + tax. you might want to do a search on replacing the top hat bearings with ones from a kia Rio. this is said to give you a lot easier steering effort than the stock manual setup.
            Last edited by F3BZ; 05-09-2016, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Where can I buy the parts from Korea ?
              And speaking of which, It is possible to get a Ford Aspire Right Door Mirror and install it on my Ford Festiva?

Comment

well i guess you could get a mirror from a Peterbilt and mount it if you have the right hardware. otherwise, i'd try and find a mirror from a festiva. the higher trim models had a pass mirror as standard equipment. (LX, GL). all you need is the mirror and the inside trim plate and its an easy swap. there were even power mirrors available for a few years. do a search. lots of info on that. put a WTB post in the FS forum.
                here is a link to the korean supplier. they sell new OEM parts for the Kia Pride which is basically what the Festiva is. just an idea what you're looking at.
                PS pump - $325. fluid reservoir - $76. PS rack - $415. unfortunately the pump to engine mounting bracket is not available. also most of the piping and hoses are obsolete so that will all have to be custom fabbed. i do have a professionally rebuilt PS rack for sale to get you started if interested. about $150.

Comment

I have a power steering pump for sale that needs to be rebuilt.
                  I also have a spare power steering fluid reservoir for sale.
                  PM me if interested.

Comment

Originally posted by turkeyofdojima View Post
                    Thank you In advance
                    Why do you need power steering? Do you have a mobility issue that PS would help with? Have you ever driven a non-PS Festiva? With stock skinny tires, turning the car should be no issue. In fact I have never found it to be an issue with any tires.

PS will greatly add to the complexity in the engine bay; another reason to not have it.

You can get some if not all of the benefit of PS by switching to 2001/2002 Kia Rio upper front strut mounts, which have actual ball bearings in them and move noticably more freely. Very simple and inexpensive upgrade.
                    Last edited by TominMO; 05-18-2016, 06:36 PM.
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

The only time I've found Festy PS to be anything more than a novelty is when driving around with a broken right arm as I have been for the past few weeks. With an abundance of caution (always being conscious of what I would do if the pump failed suddenly, so I keep the speed down and stay in the right lane), I've found it helpful. The car is a FI manual, so I pretty much only need to use 2nd and 4th gears.

PM sent to Bravekozak.
                      Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 05-21-2016, 11:35 AM.
                      88L black, dailydriver
                      88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                      4 88/89 disassembled
                      91L green
                      91GL aqua pwrsteer
                      92GL red a/c reardmg
                      3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                      1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Power steering is mainly for parking. I love it. I'm strong but lazy.

Alaska, this is the sexy Michaelangelo hand paint job.
                        Last edited by bravekozak; 05-22-2016, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X