Flat towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat towing

Can the festiva be flat towed (all four wheels on ground in neutral with a tow bar)?
    1991 stock transmission..
    1991 Beastiva L BP autoX'er

Nevermind. Did a search and manuals are good to go. Any good ideas for mounting the tow bar?

Comment

I put a towbar on mine that attaches to two brackets that are bolted securely to the front bumper. I got it off ebay, just type in towbars and several come up. I keep it in a box in car at all times. It's easy to mount brackets and it only cost me about 70.00 and tows up to 5000lbs. Ive towed my car around town several times when I put it on and tows great. You can also get those magnetic lights to put on back with a long cord to go to your vehicle for brake and turning signals also on ebay or you can get them at local auto stores.
      Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
      93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
      01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Nice! Any chance u got some photos of the bumper mount?

Comment

I do in photobucket but I can't get them to transfer to here for some reason. Send me an email address and i'll email you couple of them. After you get them you can see.
          Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
          93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
          01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Have a look at A-frames that people use to tow little cars behind campervans, autos are no good to tow with the driven wheels on the ground because the oil pump is driven off the input shaft and they generally don't like to be driven thousands of miles with no lubrication.

In Australia everyone flat toes with rope but the law stipulates that you have to use a rigid bar at least 3m long (I think, can't remember) the idea being with rope you can run up the arse of the tow vehicle but with the bar you're kept a fixed distance

Comment

Just copy the photobucket link and post it here - I can click on it from there, thanks!

Comment

I just built a tow rig for Muleskinner last week.

Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

scitzz ... means crazy yo! htd

:tm:
                  Last edited by drddan; 05-30-2016, 02:10 PM.
                  Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                  Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                  Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                  Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
                    scitzz ... means crazy yo! htd

:tm:
                    Indeed it does.

Comment

nice man, that's a great idea to use that for a mounting point...

Comment

I just took one off of a Festiva that was towed behind an RV. They Bolted to the two mounts on the front like previously stated but they also welded it to those mounts and then the ran a Steel plate down to the Metal beam that runs under the car that almost splits the car in half and welded it to that as well.
                        "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                        sigpic
                        "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                        "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                        "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                        "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
                          I just took one off of a Festiva that was towed behind an RV. They Bolted to the two mounts on the front like previously stated but they also welded it to those mounts and then the ran a Steel plate down to the Metal beam that runs under the car that almost splits the car in half and welded it to that as well.
                          Total overkill, LOL! I have used a rig similar to the one I built recently for years and have flat towed cars up to 200 miles that way no itch.

Comment

It was a pain in the ass getting it off... Took about 15 minutes with a reciprocating saw to cut through the steel plate they had welded on.

20160428_182713.jpg
                            Here is what it looked like.
                            "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                            sigpic
                            "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                            "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                            "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                            "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                            https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

YIKES! Looked narsty!

Comment

Working...
                              X