No announcement yet.

vj14 to t25/t28 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yep! I plan to be in the garage all weekend long getting stuff done.
    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
    1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
    19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
      yep! I plan to be in the garage all weekend long getting stuff done.
      Like I can talk tho. Bu I'm so indecisive. My car would be done already if I could make up my mind about the fine details

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

I just hate to buy stuff without a plan or clear goal in mind.

That and i dont want to spend money and have a crappy setup but i need to get it going.
        1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
        1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
        1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

off to bed tho. ill be on tomorrow asking more of the same- like always
          1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I buy the stuff 3 times til I make a final decision. I just bought 3 v band clamps at $20+ a piece to come and realize I still had 2 left! Oh well always can use v bands!

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
              I buy the stuff 3 times til I make a final decision. I just bought 3 v band clamps at $20+ a piece to come and realize I still had 2 left! Oh well always can use v bands!
              They are wonderfully simple. I just bought a unique one to go from focus st flange to 3 inch pipe. But I don't have the unique to Ford clamp, so I'll have to weld the v band adaptor to the exhaust housing

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Mike,
                To answer your original questions. No, the garrett lines are not the same as the VJ lines. You'll need to make all new lines.
                The garrett outlet flange is not the same bolt pattern as the VJ outlet. These are 2 completely different turbos and they share nothing in common (other than the fact that they are both turbochargers, lol).
                The problem with the adapter plate is that it drops the turbo down lower, so the drain is really hard to plumb. Also, the wastegate pod is going to hit your block, so that will all have to be customized as well. I have made all that stuff in the past.
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                  Mike,
                  To answer your original questions. No, the garrett lines are not the same as the VJ lines. You'll need to make all new lines.
                  The garrett outlet flange is not the same bolt pattern as the VJ outlet. These are 2 completely different turbos and they share nothing in common (other than the fact that they are both turbochargers, lol).
                  The problem with the adapter plate is that it drops the turbo down lower, so the drain is really hard to plumb. Also, the wastegate pod is going to hit your block, so that will all have to be customized as well. I have made all that stuff in the past.
                  So in your opinion what's my easiest solution?
                  1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

A good solid vj14 with a 2" exhaust all the way back with a resonator (cherry bomb will work).
                    With your current setup, you are asking for trouble by upgrading your turbo. Your dumping too much effort into something that could be a reliable and fast car. Go wild on the next build.
                    On the high hp build I would use a custom turbo header built for the car. When you start using adapters and trying to fit a bigger turbo in that tight space, it's going to be unreliable. The more time the car spends broken, the less time you spend doing things correctly the first time. Don't get caught up in the "do this for now for a little more power" trap.
                    A stock b6t with a 2" exhaust will run great and haul ass for years. Enjoy it.
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I liked the power level of the car when at the 15-16 psi mark. Im just afraid that the vj14 will not last at that level again.
                      1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Tweak has been running the same junkyard sourced vj14 (thanks Clay) for nearly 100k miles, at about 16psi (more or less depending on the temp and barometric pressure) with a stock tune and water methanol injection. The car has a good amount of track time and has been across country 4 times with the same turbo. It's daily driven by it's current owner and his wife. He occasionally tracks the car as well.
                        Last edited by Advancedynamix; 05-27-2016, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Believe it. Or you can do a vj14/11 hybrid that will for sure push the car down the road for a pittance of what you are looking to spend and it will bolt up.

Comment

Yeah, but that doesn't solve the issue of too small of a waste gate.

Comment

How? The vj14 i just put on it was at 15 psi and it didnt last. I think i saw 18 on the last oone one time. Im still going away from the vj14 tho! Just want to get something now that i can still work with later on. I still plan to swap to a g series. Still gonna get a custom mani made. Still looking at a custom intake. Gonna make the car how i want it but stuff takes time. Lots of projects at the house besides just this car to worry about.
                              1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

After 12 psi the 14 just blows hot air...trouble over that.

Comment

Working...
                                X