Daily driver project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily driver project

Howdy folks...new Festiva owner....my ex MIL owned one so I have put many a mile on one already...BUT this is MY first...it is a 1990 with 218,000 miles on it...and actually runs pretty good...clutch seems to be good..I am hearing some throw out bearing noise so clutch pressure plate and throw out bearing all on the list...also both cv axles have boot damage so they are first along with the bearings...(and one hub it seems)...rear bearing are on order as well...NOW...We live in SW MO...where it is fairly mountainoaaaand my house is down at the very bottom of the hollow and the roads of course up on top. The road to the cabin is fairly steep but she climbs right up without spinning a tire...my ONLY issue is ground clearance...I would love to have even a few more inches of ground clearance...I am thinking tall 13? wheels and tires is really my only option???...yes...no...cmon Festiva Gurus...what ya think? Thanks in advance guys!
    oh here is a pic of the little dandy..

I've been running Aspire struts and springs on all 4 corners along with P155/80R13 tires for the past few years.

So far I've had good experience with the combo. Probably with the tires and struts I gained 1 1/2".

Not a lot but it does help.

Comment

I would rather not go too high so that is all I am really expecting...same year aspire?..1990?ish?

Comment

Welcome to the community! That's a good looking festiva you've got.
        Slightly taller 13" wheels will help you out, and there are easy ways to lift these cars a bit, while you replace the worn out stock suspension.
        These little cars are so short that they get around off road pretty good even with stock suspension, but if you need more you can use Kia Rio front shocks (around a 2002 year) and you can put new KYB rear shocks on the car for an Aspire and use your original front Springs on the rear shocks. The car will ride a little stiffer this way, but it will lift the festiva up a little over an inch or so. If you run a set of 165 70 13 tires then you'll be about an inch and a half taller than stock. That's enough ground clearance to navigate most ATV trails if your careful.
        Last edited by Advancedynamix; 05-31-2016, 04:08 PM.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I am actually getting in and out with it now being stock but would rather have a bit more clearance...I have to cross the creek three times and it can get a little rough after a rain...as I said...I drove the mother in laws car thousands of miles...up and down trails and down to the creek..never got it stuck, these are surprisingly capable little cars...thanks for the info guys!

Comment

Originally posted by brushhippie View Post
            I would rather not go too high so that is all I am really expecting...same year aspire?..1990?ish?
            Mine came off a 1994 (1st year of Aspire). Any year should fit no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
              Welcome to the community! That's a good looking festiva you've got.
              Slightly taller 13" wheels will help you out, and there are easy ways to lift these cars a bit, while you replace the worn out stock suspension.
              These little cars are so short that they get around off road pretty good even with stock suspension, but if you need more you can use Kia Rio front shocks (around a 2002 year) and you can put new KYB rear shocks on the car for an Aspire and use your original front Springs on the rear shocks. The car will ride a little stiffer this way, but it will lift the festiva up a little over an inch or so. If you run a set of 165 70 13 tires then you'll be about an inch and a half taller than stock. That's enough ground clearance to navigate most ATV trails if your careful.
              I was thinking bhazard tried the Rio front struts WITHOUT cut or different springs and had the CV axles give him some problems. Seems like it was WAY too tall in the front.

Comment

Working...
              X