Festy Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festy Trailer

My wife and I are moving into a new house. It's here in town and not too far from where we currently live.

However, we have several pieces of very heavy and large furniture (such as the oak desk I'm currently sitting at) that won't fit in any of our vehicles. I usually rent a trailer and pull it with my Montero, but I'm sick of spending the money and having nothing to show for it.

I called U-haul today and ordered a hitch for my Fest that will cost $159.99 before tax.

I looked through Harbor Freight's website and found a trialer I think will work. There are even a couple of them in stock at the local H.F.

The trailer is a collapsable 4'x8' that weighs a couple of hundred pounds empty and is rated up to 990 lbs capacity. It costs $189.99 plus tax. They also have a couple of other models in different sizes and capacities For those of you who have Festiva towing experience: the receiever hitch is rated to 1000 lbs (about the same as the trailer). Do you think a Festiva can handle pulling 1000 pounds?

Hopefully, this info can assist anyone who's looking for a towing solution for their Festiva.
    In the beginning the Universe was created.
    This has made a lot of people very angry
    and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

-Douglas Adams

[1989 B3 Ford Festiva L]

It should be able too. I pulled a jet ski without any trouble. And some where on here there is a picture of Jim towing another Festiva on a dolly with his Festiva. Scroll thru this. http://tinyurl.com/h3etw
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

your towing weight is many times the tongue weight!

A festy is likely to be capable of towing 2000 lbs, but you can't put more than say 100-150lbs on the tongue as it sits behind the back axle and will force your rear suspension down severely, causing the tires to rub.
      Just adjust the position of the material being towed so as to minimize the weight on the tongue and maximize the weight over the trailers axle and you should be fine. Even if you have to make more than one trip, better that than to damage the fester or your new trailer!
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Great, thanks for the pictures and for the advice!

I don't plan on hauling anything terribly large, but seeing a Fest pulling a Fest does my heart good.

-Douglas Adams

[1989 B3 Ford Festiva L]

Comment

festy pulling festy

I pulled festiva number #3 with festiva #2 back in '95. No sweat.
          youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Re: festy pulling festy

Originally posted by carbonvmax
            I pulled festiva number #3 with festiva #2 back in '95. No sweat.
            On a two-wheeled car dolly? That's what was going on in the picture above. There's a Fest about 20 miles away that I think I could get for one or two hundred (not running, I want its transmission as mine is a 4-speed) and it would be cool if I pulled it home with my Fest.

-Douglas Adams

[1989 B3 Ford Festiva L]

Comment

pulling

I was actually out in the sticks so I just roped it!! I had a person steering and braking the rear festiva. I would use a 2 wheel dolly with confidence.
              youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

my buddy towed a 77 LTD 4-door with about 1000 pounds of scrap metal piled into it with his 5 speed aspire. he claims the aspire did it fine.
                AIM= bobbo216

Comment

towing

Originally posted by YpsiBob
                  my buddy towed a 77 LTD 4-door with about 1000 pounds of scrap metal piled into it with his 5 speed aspire. he claims the aspire did it fine.
                  I'll buy that. It does depend on how you finesse it too. I mean you can smoke a clutch towing nothing, or you can baby a big load like that and not tear anything up. When I towed that festiva it was easy.

Comment

A very sad day, when my last '88 Festy called it quits. Actually it was half pulled apart, and the engine was sitting lose, with no front wheels or axles. Well my landlord gave me a 3-day notice, and the company that was supposed to come and tow it, wanted to do it on the 4th day. I couldn't wait. I lowered the festy, and drug it the 100 yards down my long driveway, on it's oil pan, with my '95 Aspire Auto. I got it to the street, and left it. The company actually showed up to tow it around 8:00 the next morning. However, the aspire in 1st gear had NO problem towing it as dead weight. :cry:

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
                    1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
                    1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
                    1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
                    1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
                    1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
                    1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

Sad, but inspirational. Thanks.

-Douglas Adams

[1989 B3 Ford Festiva L]

Comment

we used the aspire today to pull a 360 'Cuda.
                        AIM= bobbo216

Comment

Working...
                        X