Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Festiva Caught on Fire and Burned to the Ground...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Festiva Caught on Fire and Burned to the Ground...

Oh well, my 1991 Festiva (the one I've been driving every day) just caught on fire and burned to the ground. I even had a red 5 gallon gas can and it was in the car and full. The car had a strange electrical problem that I could never figure out. When all of the car was shut off, something was still running what sounded like it was inside of the intake manifold (the large aluminum intake on top and back of the engine) and it sounded something like a very small fan running. I pulled all fuses and it still did that. So I was having to undo my negative battery cable when ever I let it set for a lengthy time so that the battery would not die.

Well, I was driving it home today going down the highway at around 70 mph when it started to jerk and the dash lights dimmed. That kept happening for a few seconds so I decided to pull over onto the shoulder and stop. Then I went to put my flashers on and they worked for about 3 or 4 seconds and then every light went dead. Now here's the weird thing: I had the key off and 'I think' it was in reverse...everything off. Then the car made a weird noise and jerked (it moved a little, something made the crank turn). It did it again for just a second and then poof! Flames shot out from under the hood, burned for a little bit and then subsided. At that point I started to grab my stuff, opened the door, and ran behind the car about 50 feet. When I turned around I noticed fire was now burning under the cars engine. I ran back, lifted the hatch back and grabbed my tool boxes and that's all she wrote.

I called 911 and a small fighter truck arrived in about 5 minutes and two guys got out and foamed it. It took them about 15 to 20 minutes to put it out. I heard the glass breaking, tires blowing. I thought that 5 gallon full red plastic gas can was going to explode but the fire fighters said what happens to them is that they melt and let the gas out slow and then there's a large fire but no explosion. He said the same about the gas tank, he said those plastic gas tanks do the same stuff but I'm pretty sure the Festiva gas tank is steel, right? They said it was ok for me to leave it on the side of the road and I'll go pick from it in the morning.

I've got a video of it, it's uploading and I'll post it soon....now I'm jittery about my Festiva's.

Its a sad day when a Festiva is lost. Thankfully you saw it in time and weren't hurt!
    1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
    1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
    2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

Comment

My Festiva Caught on Fire and Burned to the Ground...

Wow, that sucks.
      Could have happened to any vehicle with an electrical problem though.
      And could have been worse with a newer vehicle. I cannot find it back because there are too many videos on youtube of F-150's burning and exploding, but there is a good video somewhere of firefighters spraying water on a burning f-150 right after they started using magnesium. That was a pretty good explosion.
      This one isnt bad. Same idea. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jpzppsfei9g

I dont know what that noise could have been though, sorry.
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by ryanprins13; 06-11-2016, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Here's the video I took of the Festiva Fire...
        https://youtu.be/5ih2_8sA6eA

Comment

Major bummer :/ sorry for your loss!
          ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
          91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
          1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
          2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Sorry to hear about your loss. The Festiva does have a steel fuel tank, you are correct.
            Sometimes cars can be rebuilt after engine fires.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
              Sorry to hear about your loss. The Festiva does have a steel fuel tank, you are correct.
              Sometimes cars can be rebuilt after engine fires.
              Check out that video. This one ain't gonna buff out.....I doubt you could get one good part off that car.
              Last edited by TominMO; 06-11-2016, 08:07 AM.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

The car was demon possessed. Buy another one with the insurance money.

Comment

RIP
                  "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                  sigpic
                  "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                  "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                  "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                  "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Sorry for your loss! She really went out with a bang!

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                      The car was demon possessed. Buy another one with the insurance money.
                      I dont know about you but I dont pay for full coverage on my festiva...
                      91GL BP/F3A with boost
                      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Another member Festiva Fred had spent quite some time rebuilding and modifying his festiva only to have it burn to the ground the first time he tried to start it and it was in the garage when it lit up in flames but Fred kept a cool head, grabbed a truck and chain, got it out before burning the place to the ground. The video should still be here somewhere.

Sorry for your loss we feel your pain.
                        Last edited by sc72; 06-11-2016, 05:09 PM.
                        An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Makes we wonder if it could have been the alternator was constantly on and then it somehow turned into a motor? I work with big diesel generators and when running two on the same circuit a thing called motorizing can happen there the alternator in the generator becomes a motor due to it not running fast enough to take load.

Sent from my HUAWEI H892L using Tapatalk
                          88 Ford Festiva LX "Miogi" B8-ME swapped.

93 Ford Festiva L "Haywire" Rat infested trashcan WIP

Comment

No, I don't think it was the alternator making the noise. Again, here's the explanation: When ever I would have the key off, something was running in the motor section of the car, it sounded like a very small fan noise. I pulled every fuse and the noise would still be there...something working and taking battery juice. The sound came from directly under that large aluminum intake manifold where underneath of it is the fuel injectors. I can't remember if I ever pulled any of the main fusible links (3 of them) in order to try and stop the noise but now I have some thoughts about it. I'm wondering if an injector could have been pressurized or running even when it's not supposed to...even when the key is off? Here's why I'm thinking that:

I was going down the road and the Festiva started to skip and sputter and the lights blinked back and forth and went dim so I pulled over to the side of the road. At this time all the dash lights were kind of going crazy, blinking off and on and dimming. When I got off the road I quickly turned the key off and had the shifter in reverse like I always do when I leave the car. Then I tried to turn my flashers on and they did go on but only for about 2 or 3 seconds and then they stopped. All of this happened in about 5 or 7 seconds. And then a weird thing happened one second after that, the car kind of 'burped' and actually moved. For a second I was shocked and thought some one bumped me, then it moved again slightly and poof!...fire came shooting out from under the hood and rose about 2 or 3 feet. All of that happened in just seconds also. Now, since the car moved, that makes me think that it turned over, the pistons moved. Now I'm remembering something as I type this. After the first time it jerked and moved, I thought the car was trying to go even though it was off so I was hammering on the brake - had my foot on it as hard as I could. I had the brake to the floor the second time it jerked...just before the initial fire and it jerked a second time.

Could an injector have been trying to spray fuel in a port? It just seems like an injector failure because if it was a fire caused by wires how could that have caused it to crank? Any ideas anyone?

Ok, anyway...here's a couple of pics of the aftermath:

Burned Festiva Pic-01
                            Burned Festiva Pic-02
                            Burned Festiva Pic-03
                            Attached Files

Comment

Well when my dizzy when bad I noticed sometimes it would try to fire after I turned the ignition off. That was weird too. I doubt it was that though. If it was an injector stuck open then the pump would probably still have to be running. I know the fuel rail can hold a little pressure after turning off, but I doubt enough to keep an injector going

Sent from my HUAWEI H892L using Tapatalk
                              88 Ford Festiva LX "Miogi" B8-ME swapped.

93 Ford Festiva L "Haywire" Rat infested trashcan WIP

Comment

Working...
                              X