What welder ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What welder ???

I'm planning on doing a swap in my festy soon, aND I'm going to need to weld mounts, exhaust, and intercooler piping... do you guys think the little 90amp welder from harbor freight will do the trick, or do in need something a little more substantial ???... thanks in advance

The size is appropriate, but the brand and adjustability are not, plus if you're going to attempt to weld aluminum tubing for the intercooler, you need an a/C capable welder. Flux core can do ok, but you'll typically get a better result with a true MIG welder.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

i loved my lil harbor freight welder. if you are a decent welder you can stick all the steel things needded for a swap together. that being said, i love my lotus mig welder more. the adjustability really makes the difference and with how cheap they are im mad i didnt make the switch sooner. it even comes with a spool gun for aluminum that i found to work pretty good.

I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

As mentioned youau need 2 welders a Mig for steel and a tig for aluminum. It can get costly. I would suggest checking out the Eastwood welders. 3 year warranty and good reviews. The mig175 is some times on sale with aluminum spool gun. You could use the spoolgun for doing your piping you would just need a different gas.

Comment

You can find used arc welders or flux mig's real cheap. Good mig's are a bit more pricy but worth it i think even for welding steel. Spool gun works alright on a good mig for aluminum but they aren't cheap.
          You may be better off getting a cheaper welder for your steel and hiring someone to weld the aluminum. Cheaper than buying a spool gun, wire and gas to add to your mig. You would need practise and your welds likely wouldnt be as good as a pro.
          Tig welders are nice but not cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Your if piping can be steel but it will take more than one try to get your welds air tight if you have never welded before and you are using the HF special. I mean I love mine, it's built most of my car. Works good, just do buy some Lincoln flux core wire from lowes, it works much better than the HF brand. Also this is a learning process, unless you want to just go all out on a welder to use forever the 90am flux core welder will do everything just fine you need to do. Don't think you're going to be welding quarter with it though. Not enough penetration, if you have access to both side of the metal, you are pretty close but not full penetration.
            Tommy

WannaBimmer Build in Progress:
            http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...-Festiva-Build

Comment

Thanks guys, I still haven't pulled the trigger on a welder.. but thanks for all the info

Comment

Keep an eye on craigslist in your area. A lot of times you can get good deals on a used quality welder that will perform better for a long time. I prefer tig. You'll want AC/DC functions, if you get a tigwelder. Your also much better off getting a machine that runs on 220/240v rather than 110/120. It's worth the extra hassle to wire a 220 plug in the garage if you don't have one already. You can use the plug for the clothes dryer, if it's near the garage.
                Last edited by Advancedynamix; 06-24-2016, 08:55 AM.
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I think I'm going to sell/ and or part out my sentra, and then I'll spring for a decent welder

Comment

I've heard great things about miller with there millermatic setups. There's a guy in salem who uses their 211 and builds cages for tonnns of people in Missouri.

Car #789
                    Sponsors: Williams American Construction, Dewaynes Tire service, Roofing Supply Group
                    1992 Festiva L - BP Swapped, Aspire Swapped, Rally America Sanctioned.
                    1993 Festiva GL - 4sp Automatic and the bluest car i've ever seen...
                    http://www.facebook.com/warally

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                      Keep an eye on craigslist in your area. A lot of times you can get good deals on a used quality welder that will perform better for a long time. I prefer tig. You'll want AC/DC functions, if you get a tigwelder. Your also much better off getting a machine that runs on 220/240v rather than 110/120. It's worth the extra hassle to wire a 220 plug in the garage if you don't have one already. You can use the plug for the clothes dryer, if it's near the garage.
                      -
                      -
                      220 V for the mig and tig --- and what's the benefit ?
                      Thanks

Comment

Typically higher amp range and longer duty cycle.
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

What Arty said and lower operating cost. 220V runs more efficiently than 120v. You'll get nicer welds with less hassle too. Also, it's usually easier to find quality used welders that run on 220v than it is to find 110v welders ( the small 110/115/120 machines are not as heavy duty and typically don't last through several owners like the bigger welders do). If you have the room and the electrical capabilities to have a 220 (208-230v) unit then I strongly recommend going that route.
                          Last edited by Advancedynamix; 06-30-2016, 03:25 PM.
                          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Working...
                          X