Stock 5spd vs G-series help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock 5spd vs G-series help

I have a stock 5 speed trans in Lucifer but it has a Spec stage 2 clutch in it. I also have another 5 speed in another stock festiva that i will be doing my own motor swap in later on.

I have a G-series that cam out of my old capri xr2. It is totally stock tho.

Would the G-series handle the HP of the new turbo build on Lucifer Or will the stock unit be fine as long as i dont beat it?

I have the mounts to make the swap. I have the new honda 3 core radiator and slim fan. I would like to do a front core bolt in support mod this weekend as well as the new radiator. If i get that crazy with it should i go ahead and replace to the g-series?
    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
    1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
    19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

I just hate to have the turbo and bumper and radiator out and not swap the trans if i could!

I guess i could go ahead and pick up an new clutch for my g-series now and just do the swap and be done with it.

What is you opinion? Which clutch to hold up to around 250 mark
    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Personally, I'd do it right while it was taken apart. But you gotta decide that. Do it right the first time.
      Jerry
      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

What clutch tho?

1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I want it right but i dont know which clutch to use for around 250-300hp. I may end up with more lag then stock due to the turbo i have now but i want to be able to actually use the power to redline. If i dont have the bottom end i need all the top i can get!
          1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
            I want it right but i dont know which clutch to use for around 250-300hp. I may end up with more lag then stock due to the turbo i have now but i want to be able to actually use the power to redline. If i dont have the bottom end i need all the top i can get!
            Flywheel and clutch from the xr2

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

So my stock clutch on the g series is fine!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
              1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I would recommend putting the trans in if you have it and everything to put it in. The E series is going to make a quick exit with anything near that power level.

Based on the Miata guys a 8.5" factory clutch can hold ~185ft-lbs at the tire. The XR2 and EGT used a 8.875" clutch so maybe 200 ft-lb on a good quality factory replacement. 200ft-lbs at the tire is a lot for a 1.6 to make even with a big turbo. I would probably run a factory replacement package from sachs, luk or exedy. If you really want to upgrade consider a performance clutch (with a sprung hub) with an OEM style pressure plate. I have done this in the past on a couple of cars and it has worked out well.

Also Check out clutchnet.com I have used them before and have been happy with their product.
                Last edited by blake4591; 06-15-2016, 12:50 PM.

Comment

I'm running a performance clutch package in my bp turbo car. Don't recall the name at the moment. It works great. Doesn't slip at all so far. I'd definitely go with an upgrade package from aftermarket as opposed to using a stock clutch.
                  Jerry
                  Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                  93 L Lightning. BP

Comment

Its looking like i will leave the stock clutch in and see how it does. If it slips i will replace otherwise i guess ill rock it until it goes and then replace with act or some other upgrade from stock.
                    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

You are using the g series stock clutch with the g series trans right?
                      Jerry
                      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                      93 L Lightning. BP

Comment

At this time i have a stock b3 trans with a spec stage 2 in it.

I want to put my capri xr2 trans in it. It is stock with the factory clutch (or whatever replacement)
                        1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Stock capri clutch aint gonna take that power. But its okay, do the same job twice.
                          91GL BP/F3A with boost
                          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I am looking for more opinions! i can order almost any clutch kit but need to do so asap to get it in time.

bhazard what would you order
                            1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

hd pressure plate or normal?

I want to order a newkit tonight. Needs to handle the power of the t28 turbo
                              1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X