Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BP SWAP in a 2000 Festiva/Aspire Trio - QUESTIONS???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BP SWAP in a 2000 Festiva/Aspire Trio - QUESTIONS???

Hi Guys,

I've recently bought a 2000 Festiva/Aspire for $200 and plan on swapping in a BP.

I'm from Australia btw in case you were wondering why my festiva is a 2000 model, I'm pretty sure is exactly the same as the last Aspire that came out in the states though...

Soon I'll be picking up a running 09/1994 Mazda Protege with the BP engine that I'll use as the donor vehicle.

1) Does this vehicle have the G-series Tranny?
    2) If so, what axles will I need to work with the aspire hubs/struts?
    3) What problems am I likely to encounter?
    4) I think the Protege is hydro clutch, is it easy to swap in the protege pedal box/brake and clutch masters?
    5) Can I use the entire engine loom from the protege to keep wiring to a minimum?

You're about to try to get an OBD2 car to accept an OBD1 engine and harness. I'm not sure of the emissions regulations down there but I suspect that they will frown upon that. Your better bet is to adapt the OBD2 harness to the BP and flash it
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Legally speaking, It would need to pass an inspection by an engineer to be allowed to be registered. But I am registering the car with the stock b3 engine and then swapping in the bp later on. We don't have any yearly inspections or anything like that down here. I plan on keeping the car looking pretty standard on the outside. The cops here won't look twice at little, green econo-box, they are too busy pulling over jap imports and holden commodores.

Comment

My first suggestion still applies, use the b3 harness and ECU to run the BP. If the BP has vics, you can run that off an rpm limited micro switch.
        OR, you could piggy back the BP ecu onto the b3 ecu. That way everyone is happy.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          My first suggestion still applies, use the b3 harness and ECU to run the BP. If the BP has vics, you can run that off an rpm limited micro switch.
          OR, you could piggy back the BP ecu onto the b3 ecu. That way everyone is happy.
          Okay, what method would you recommend for an EFI beginner? Piggyback or make the B3 ECU work?

I think the donor car has the VICS system... Would it be easier to just remove it, or does it actually help with economy/power/idle?

I can can weld, fab and solder but don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to more advanced auto electrics and efi systems. So I appreciate the advice

Comment

Simplest is make the b3 harness work. You'll want to lock the vics system closed so that it will idle and drive at low speed properly. You will lose some top end but you're in a car that weighs a couple hundred pounds less so you shouldn't notice any difference.

Comment

I thought your liscensing was fairly tricky down there... As in all the mounts for the engine and transmission need to be "stock" from factory?
              - Form should follow function...

Comment

Originally posted by SiliconSoul View Post
                I thought your liscensing was fairly tricky down there... As in all the mounts for the engine and transmission need to be "stock" from factory?
                I will be registering the car with the b3 engine then swapping it afterwards. The only way anyone will know is if I get pulled over and the cops pop the hood. Which is highly unlikely as I will be keeping the car stock standard on the outside. I'm going to get a ford rocker cover for the bp as well so it looks stock in case they do pop the hood.

Comment

That's no biggy. I'm sure it'll have more than enough power for a daily driver

Comment

How hard would it be to get a later model Protege BP or Kia Sephia? It would be a lot easier to swap in an OBD2 engine.
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                      How hard would it be to get a later model Protege BP or Kia Sephia? It would be a lot easier to swap in an OBD2 engine.
                      Probably not that hard but the protege is only $150 so its cheap... Whats the difference between obd1 and 2? Does it just mean more wiring?

Comment

Working...
                      X