Help!! B6t stumbles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!! B6t stumbles

My B6T (still in the capri till I solve this, then on to the festy) has a throttle related stumble. If you ease into it from any RPM, it will accelerate (in neutral in the driveway as it has absolutely no brakes). However if you are more aggressive with the throttle, it will stumble (miss-fire?). From a higher RPM it will stumble and then recover and rev. Once it is revving (RPM increasing rapidly) all seams fine. Does brake up a little when you take your foot out of it and the butterfly closes.

Its got new plugs, wires, cap and rotar, air intake, new vacuum lines (most places, remaining look good), timing set to 12 (down from 22 ish before I touched it). Idle is at 850.

SO?

What do I do now?

And Thanks

Check. For spark leak at the coil tower.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

pulled the bumper and the intercooler. IT blows free. Reinstalled

New coil coming tomorrow.

Comment

installed new coil, set TPS to 660 with throttle closed

No help

No wideband, nose says rich.

Comment

Check fuel pressure under load. I had a similar problem and the pump passed standard checks, but when I floored it the pressure dropped to less than 20 psi before recovering. A new pump fixed it.
          Check air flow through fuel filter, when you blow through it there should be almost no resistance. Plugged filters can do this.
          Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
          Icetiva-3-race-car-build
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

How old is the gas? They don't like old gas. If it's been sitting more than 6 months without a fuel stabilizer than you may have bad gas in it.
            Also, did you wash the engine or has it been rained on? Water gets into the spark plug holes on these engines and causes the problem you describe.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

^ yurp !! Most likely the issue .. This guy knows a thing or two , cause he has seen a thing or two .
              New build on the way .

Comment

tank was empty

put in 5 gallons

havn't checked the filter,

no water or wash

Comment

How long have you let it run? The fuel pressure regulator may be varnished from sitting. How long did the car sit empty? It could be a clogged filter too. Misfires (even lean misfires) produce a fuel smell that could be confused as a rich condition.
                  Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Is there a critters nest in the airbox?

Comment

There was a nest, I did a cone filter.

probably 30 to 45 minutes run time. Put 5 gallons worth of Lucas injector cleaner in prior to the 5 gallons or gas.

Took advise and pulled the fuel filter. I can blow through it in the proper direction (the way fuel flows), but I think its harder than it should be.

So I'm grabbing a new one. AutoZone has it for $25.

Comment

Check the ignition timing and the cam timing. Also, the bearings wear out in the distributor on the b6t and cause the distributor shaft to wobble and do funny things. It's easy to check. Pull off the cap and try to wiggle the shaft. Also, check really good for air leaks. A cracked vacuum line or intake tube will cause a stumble.

Comment

Pulled the timing cover, crank to cams are good.

Pulled and plugged the volume line to the dizzy. After warm and at 850 idle, timing was 22 ish.

Set to 12. Reved and watched the mechanical advance happen. All looks good.

Filter in tomorrow if I get time before boyscout camping trip.

Comment

changed the filter

No GO same stumble as before.

What does the solenoid on the vacuum line between the intake and the fuel rail do?

Comment

Make sure your flappy thing (vaf) is working right. And not clogged with debris. Anytime I had b6t issues it was spark related.
                              1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Working...
                              X