New generation STAR tester questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New generation STAR tester questions

Recently I bought 3 of the 4 volume set, genuine Ford festiva workshop manuals for the WF series.
    Volume 1 was missing so I am getting by with a haynes manual, as Volume 1 has more of the vital section.
    Anyway, the question is, in the diagnostic Volume 3, it suggests tools to have and one of them is the title of this thread, it says > New Generation STAR tester. It shows some pictures of added cables and connectors, then flow charts for diagnostics.

Is this STAR Tester absolutely necessary or do you guys use something else for analizing the Festiva ?
    I heard SNAP-ON do testers for most makes and models but starting prices are about 7K, plus ongoing updates.

( If anyone has Volume 1 for sale I be interested btw, the 3 of 4 volumes costed me 40.00 for the lot on ebay )

Thanks
    Last edited by fezzy; 07-11-2016, 03:08 PM.

WF model years are 1996 - 2000, correct? An Aspire for us here.

IDK how diagnostics works in Oz, but personally I am uninclined to buy a $7000 tester for a $1500 car......;-)

Do you guys have the equivalent of OBD-II ports, where you can just plug in a generic tester (about the size of a multimeter) and retrieve the codes? Can't see why any DIY person would need more than that. Over here, the auto parts stores will check your codes for you free.
    Last edited by TominMO; 07-11-2016, 03:42 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Yes, mine is 1998.
      Has plugs to plug into for electronics etc. under the hood.
      A lot of reading just to get acquainted with all this.
      Do you guys have the equivalent of OBD-II ports, where you can just plug in a generic tester (about the size of a multimeter) and retrieve the codes? Can't see why any DIY person would need more than that. Over here, the auto parts stores will check your codes for you free.
      Yes it has, the books says it's a "data link connector", has about 25 pins, most are not used.

Is there a link or post here on how to check codes with multi-meters etc.
      I'm old skool, points, point clearance, condensers and dwell angles. :nightmare:

Comment

Working...
      X