At a crossroads. Fix or sell it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At a crossroads. Fix or sell it?

I've put a bit of time, money and effort into my Festiva and the replacement engine I put in a few months ago is shot. I should have done a B6 like my gut told me. It had lower compression on one cylinder, but still drove just fine. I drove it down to south Florida to attend my 30th high school reunion to hang out with people I didn't didn't want to hang out with 30 years ago hmmmmmm. Somewhere near Tampa, it started running rougher and it wouldn't idle at all with the A/C on. It uses about a quart of oil every 200 miles and mpg dropped to 29 from 38. It did make it back home, though. I'm debating cutting my losses and getting something newer. However, I can't think of any newer car I would want. I rented a car while I was down there since I couldn't run the A/C in traffic. They gave me a Chrysler 200. Except for the cold a/c and decent stereo, I didn't like anything about it. Horrible blind spots and I felt cramped and claustrophobic in it. The transmission shifter was a knob. I can't tell you how many times I turned the a/c blower up instead of shifting into drive after reversing.

Here's some details about my car http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...bought+festiva
    Rick
    1993 Ford Festiva
    1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
    1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
    2000 Ford E350

Maybe you just need a new cylinder head? Can you do a compression test, then add oil to the low-compression cylinder(s) and repeat, to see if it's rings or valves. Probably a lot of people have a good B3 head they could sell/give you.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
      Maybe you just need a new cylinder head? Can you do a compression test, then add oil to the low-compression cylinder(s) and repeat, to see if it's rings or valves. Probably a lot of people have a good B3 head they could sell/give you.
      The head came off my old engine which ran fantastic. Unfortunately, the block had a crack in it.
      Rick
      1993 Ford Festiva
      2000 Ford E350

Comment

Fix it... and don't feel bad. I spent a lot of time swapping in a b6ze/b6d build to have it blow up in 3 track days cause we damaged the bearings with coolant. Now I've been into festivas for 1.5 years and am on my 3rd motor.
        Now almost have the b6t and g trans swap done.

Never jump ship captain. Especially when it's such a lugubrious boat
        1990 festiva l (747 the jumbo jet) (b6t & g box)

Comment

I read your build thread and my vote is to fix it as well. I like the car and you have done a lot of non-engine work to it.
          Ive worked in a mechanic shop and autobody shops for years and driven a lot of vehicles. Only thing that comes close to a festiva is a toyota echo hatchback. Far cry from a festiva but not bad and handles good in snow. Have not tried mazda 2 or mitsu mirage. Fiat 500, smart car, honda fit, versa note, mini cooper are all a no. Especially the honda fit. Compact sedans like a civic or chrysler 200 are usually pretty boring. Maybe a gti, fiesta st or focus st might do you but avoid dual clutch transmissions. Or the new civic fastish hatch.
          Anyway, like i said, i think you should fix it. I would rather drive a festiva than any of those. Did you put a filter on the end of the hose out of your oil cap? Under some throttle with the pcv open it may have sucked dirt into the engine. Replace the cap with a normal one and see if it idles better.
          Is it possible its your valve stem seals that are leaking?
          Seafoam the intake manifold good and where all the hoses go into the throttle body and manifold. When i get oil in there from blowby the idle is terrible and i have to seafoam it. Then it runs amazing and lasts about 2-4 weeks then has to be done again. I hope i fixed mine now but thats what it was like.
          Clean your pcv valve.
          Test iacv?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by ryanprins13; 07-12-2016, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Oh your in tennessee. I have a b3 that I've robbed some parts off of. It was a good running motor with 150k on it when I pulled it from my festy for the 1.6 swap. It has been indoors. Complete block you will need to replace the oil pump because I had to cut the dipstick out. Head is good. And the intake is there.
            Come get it

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
              I read your build thread and my vote is to fix it as well. I like the car and you have done a lot of non-engine work to it.
              Ive worked in a mechanic shop and autobody shops for years and driven a lot of vehicles. Only thing that comes close to a festiva is a toyota echo hatchback. Far cry from a festiva but not bad and handles good in snow. Have not tried mazda 2 or mitsu mirage. Fiat 500, smart car, honda fit, versa note, mini cooper are all a no. Especially the honda fit. Compact sedans like a civic or chrysler 200 are usually pretty boring. Maybe a gti, fiesta st or focus st might do you but avoid dual clutch transmissions. Or the new civic fastish hatch.
              Anyway, like i said, i think you should fix it. I would rather drive a festiva than any of those. Did you put a filter on the end of the hose out of your oil cap? Under some throttle with the pcv open it may have sucked dirt into the engine. Replace the cap with a normal one and see if it idles better.
              Is it possible its your valve stem seals that are leaking?
              Seafoam the intake manifold good and where all the hoses go into the throttle body and manifold. When i get oil in there from blowby the idle is terrible and i have to seafoam it. Then it runs amazing and lasts about 2-4 weeks then has to be done again. I hope i fixed mine now but thats what it was like.
              Clean your pcv valve.
              Test iacv?

If I went with another vehicle, it would be some sort of wagon. I have a thing for station wagons. No filter on the hose, just open to atmosphere. I figured the engine was worn out, so I didn't care. I thought maybe something might be filled with oil from the blowby, also. I spray cleaned the throttle body, vaf and IAC with no change. I'll have to see how to test the IAC.

Originally posted by cliferton View Post
              Oh your in tennessee. I have a b3 that I've robbed some parts off of. It was a good running motor with 150k on it when I pulled it from my festy for the 1.6 swap. It has been indoors. Complete block you will need to replace the oil pump because I had to cut the dipstick out. Head is good. And the intake is there.
              Come get it
              If I put another engine in it, it will probably be a B6 or B6D. But, I might keep your offer in mind.

On the plus side, I visited one of my ex step sons and he's living at his grandparents right now. My ex's father asked me if I remembered about the pressure washer he bought years ago and never used. I said yes and he said I could have it. When he retired from the phone company in 1998 he bought a pressure washer thinking he was going to do some handy man work. He never did. It's 18 years old, but never used 3500 psi pressure washer with a 13hp Honda engine, made in Germany Giant pump and all stainless steel frame. So the trip wasn't a total bust.
              Last edited by Eaglefreek; 07-12-2016, 11:56 AM.
              Rick
              1993 Ford Festiva
              2000 Ford E350

Comment

B8/P... go big or go home plus less work other than a mount.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                  B8/P... go big or go home plus less work other than a mount.
                  I thought the B6 was a drop in, B6D required modifying one mount and BP's and B8's required a bunch of modifications?
                  Rick
                  1993 Ford Festiva
                  2000 Ford E350

Comment

All depends on what your trying to do. B6d can be one mount or if you decide to move it all foward your doing all 3. Not that it's super hard. All depends on what your going for

Comment

Sounds like you want something quick to install so you can drive it and enjoy it. A turbo engine may be quickish to install but time spent tuning it so it runs nice is usually a while from what i read on here. Installing a B6 will get you back on the road and enjoying the car soonest. Then if you want a turbo you can spend time finding a good one and everything you need before you start, rather than rushing it. Then have fun tuning it because you already have enjoyed the car for a while.
                      What about old volvo turbo bricks? i have never driven one but they look like fun. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cf04DoX3O64

Last edited by ryanprins13; 07-12-2016, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Engine swap difficulty is based on what transmission your going to use. Any engine plus E series is just a mount and a little wiring. Any engine plus a f series is more work, mounts, (possibly use the auto trans mounts?) hydro clutch, modify the shifter, other odds and ends. G series trans swaps are alot more work and using a B8 or BP adds even more if you want to really practice you're fabrication skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefreek View Post
                          I thought the B6 was a drop in, B6D required modifying one mount and BP's and B8's required a bunch of modifications?
                          B8/P if used with the E series transmission are rather simple and are biggest bang for the buck if you're nice to the trans. Needs the passenger mount and an injector harness mod. It's well documented.
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I just want a running and driving car that I don't have to add a quart of oil to every time I get gas. My going fast days are behind me. It would be nice to have a little more power for getting on the highway, though. I might just take clifferton up on his offer. I've got to go out of town for work for a couple weeks and I'll think about what I want to do while I'm there.
                            Rick
                            1993 Ford Festiva
                            2000 Ford E350

Comment

Working...
                            X