What can the G-Series TAKE/Launch at?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can the G-Series TAKE/Launch at?

Gonna start my swap this week. I have a new 6 puk clutch for it! Im wanting to know what all can the G-series take. With my stock trans i have never launched it. I have only rolled on it nice and easy. I have not shifted hard or fast.

I want to be able to goof around from time to time. Might want to burn up some tire at times.

How are you guys launching on the g series? I have seen the 1/4 mile threads but have not really visited them much yet. I dont really plan to drag race but i would like to launch from time to time.
    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
    1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
    19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

I've heard of launches from 5-7000 rpm.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Just don't drive like JT (Festiva B6tg25mr). Lol
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Its gonna be a daily car with a straight pipe so i wont be able to play much without every cop in a mile looking for me. But i do want to play more then i do now.

5000rpm launch REALLY!!!
        1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
        1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
        1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

A 5000 rpm launch will be useless with anything other than drag slicks. Don't get your hopes up.
          91GL BP/F3A with boost
          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Im gonna try out the new federal 595 once the car is running and the wife drops the knife!
            1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Does the g series hold up good tho? Anything to worry about them ?
              1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Think of it as a bigger E series. Some people like me have had them hold up to tons of slick launches and some people have had them grenade fairly easily.

Word of advice, don't clutch dump it. Let it slip out just a little bit.

Also, without an Mfactory diff, tons of tire spinning will kill the trans, just like an E.

Federal 595? An all season tire is not a slick tire. You will not have traction. Like I said, you HAVE to have slicks if you want to hook up on a launch.
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

You said you have a 6 puck clutch... it better have a sprung hub or you're begging for trouble.
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

It's rare to hear of a broken G series in a festiva with a b6t and a full weight flywheel. Gear shattering issues (3rd seems to be the most susceptible) are caused by harmonic issues from running them hard on BP engines with lightened flywheels. It's the same story with miata transmissions. A b6t with a full weight flywheel won't have nearly the same violent harmonic tendencies that a BP has with an aluminum flywheel.
                    You won't be able to launch hard on street tires. Even R compound tires won't hold the power your looking to put down. Only a well heated wrinkle wall will hold that kind of TQ and that's only with a trained set of feet.
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                      You said you have a 6 puck clutch... it better have a sprung hub or you're begging for trouble.
                      This is a very good tip.

Comment

I wont be launching hard often. Nor doo i plan to need to stick when i do. I just want to leave a light hard from time to time. as of now i babied it off the line and untill 1/3rd the way through 2nd then roll on it. I want to give it some beans in 1st and get moving quick then mash it
                        1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

from experience, going with a "race" clutch on the street can make the car unlivable, dangerous, and just no fun at all and ads to the possibility of breaking the trans and other components. i stay away from "pucked" discs. they usually need to be popped on engagement and lotta chatter. Just my opinion, but a dual compound disc with sprung hub should be able to handle as much HP as you'll get out of a B6T. even that might be overkill. if youn have the patience and scratch for an upgrade, start with a stage 2 type set up and go to the more aggressive clutch if needed.

Comment

^ more good information. Stay away from Spec. You'll have a 50/50 chance of getting a total pile of unusable crap. Centerforce seems to be popular with the GTX crowd.

Comment

Anything that leads to wheelspin will kill a diff in a G series trans
                              You may be able to dump it a few times. But the none of the Mazda transmissions will take the abuse for very long.

Puck clutches are crap. Stick to a full face disk
                              1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                              High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                              Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Working...
                              X