Dashboard plugs/switches Mazda 121

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dashboard plugs/switches Mazda 121

I've been trying to find the answer but I mustn't be using the right keywords, I want to know what all the "optional" switches on my dash are.

To the left of steering wheel; rear wiper (fitted) and defroster (not fitted)

To the right; Unknown, electric mirrors (not fitted), Unknown, Dimmer switch (fitted):

Does anybody know what the two "unknown" plugs are for?

The large square one is only for power mirrors. The dimmer switch is only for the instrument cluster. Lots of other Mazda switches can fit our panel. I have nine switches. For example, power antenna, power door locks, rear fog light are found on Kia Prides. I also added a fuel door popper switch and a cruise control power switch from an RX-7. Check the wiring schematic colours for what is already there.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 07-20-2016, 05:33 AM.

Comment

I was hoping somebody that had a copy of the wiring diagrams would be able to tell me what the two in-accounted for plugs are for

Comment

i have an AU 121 glove box manual i looked at and they only show: FAR LFT of steering column - RR window/wiper sw. LFT of column - RR defrost sw. all remaining switch holes are blanks except the very FAR RT which is the panel light dimmer. other markets, particularly UK & DE filled these holes with switches for: Heated Seats L&R, RR Fog Lamp, Headlight Washer, Power Antenna, Hazard Sw, etc.
        if you give me the number and colors of wires on the connector, i could probably give you an idea looking through the Europe and UK wiring manuals i have.
        here is a scan of page from AU booklet.

Comment

Yea that's the same as my glovebox book.

Not specificated but the plugs are there:

2 pin Blue/Red + Blue/ yellow on right of steering wheel

And 2 pin Black + Orange on far right between power mirror and dimmer switch
          Last edited by robotrob; 07-20-2016, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Blue/red and blue/yellow is for the power antenna.

Black/white and black/blue is for the rear defrost.
            Last edited by bravekozak; 07-20-2016, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Ooh thanks!

There's seems to be a bunch of resources on this site that a can backlink off google to but isn't linked off the main pages..
              Have I snuck into a top secret section or is there a way to easily navigate these pages? I can only find the directory listing and the file names aren't the most descriptive

Comment

sorry. i spent a good bit of time looking thru Europe/UK 121 electrical schmatics in French, English, and German and no 2 wire connectors for switches are shown with those colors but it's hard to believe AU would adopt different colors. i disagree that the one is for a power antenna though. the list of switch examples i made earlier was a mash up of switches available on Kia Prides and 121s as well as Festivas through a 14 year span. i'm pretty sure the 121 DA was never equipped in any market with a power antenna, or power mirrors or windows. just later Prides although no Prides or Festivas had luxuries like heated seats or headlamp washers available.
                i have extra shop manuals and supplements in German if interested pm me.

Comment

My Mazda definitely has the plug for the power mirror switch.. I'll see how far I can visually trace the wires or if there are any other unused plugs anywhere that match the colours

Comment

Black and orange seems to be rear fog light and I'm inclined to believe blue/red blue/yellow is power antenna.. Though a lot of the plugs are shown as being 4 pin they are only 2 pin on my car I'm guessing because mine aren't backlit? Though looking at the Kia pride diagram the power antenna switch seems like it's double pole double throw so I don't know how it will work with only two of the wires

My Mazda is only an 87, does anybody happen to know of an equivalent model year wiring diagram?
                    Last edited by robotrob; 07-21-2016, 02:39 AM.

Comment

I gave you the link to the wiring diagram. Just add two wires into the four position connector. You can buy the terminals from easternbeaver.com

You will need to remove the fender to see if the the other connector is present.
                      Probe for hot in run at your dash. Refer to my thread on installation. Mine works great. Nobody can just walk by, pull it out and bend it like a pretzel as has happened to other members.
                      Last edited by bravekozak; 07-21-2016, 06:07 AM.

Comment

The link has been a great help but I only have a two pin plug in the spot that corresponds to the electric antenna switch and the two wires match the colours of two of the four wires in the four pin power antenna switch in the 93-2000 Kia diagrams you posted.. It's supposed to be an UP and DOWN switch and I don't understand how it can work without a minimum of 3 wires.. I thought if someone had a diagram that matched my 87 I could figure it out

Comment

veddy strange. i mean all of Europe and UK seem to adhere to the same color scheme. why AU would be different, dunno. my schematics are from 88 & 89. here is diggin deeper. this is from a UK/AU mazda EPC. i didn't print the corresponding part#s page but i labeled the 4 switches as they are described. maybe your car will have wiring for headlamp washers and fog even if it wasn't equipped with them so maybe check near the the windshield washer bottle to see if there is an unused one near the bottle for the headlamp pump. this should be a T shaped connector with 1 unused terminal. the other 2 terminals are BLK & YEL on my diagrams. the dash sw for this washer on my diags also has a T shape connector with 1 unused and the 2 wires YEL & BLU-YEL.
                          i would check behind the RT side of RR bumper for fog lamp wire. this should be a single spade terminal ORANGE or BLK. the switch for the RR fog lamp shows as a smaller T connector with an ORANGE and BLU-RED wire.
                          also, i was wrong about the power mirrors. at least 50% wrong. supposedly you could get a power mirror on the passenger side but not both sides. not as drastic cost cutting as eliminating a mirror as the US did.

Comment

Working...
                          X