Body shop repair question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body shop repair question

Curious, This car: How much would a body shop charge $$ to pound out a rear quarter panel dent like this and just primer (no paint). I imagine you can't really paint match these old, faded cars.

Would they want to cut out the rear quarter and weld in a new section -or- could this dent be adequately pounded out and minimal filler used? ( I wouldn't want a bondo queen).

00n0n_ewvSFKMkXRB_1200x900.jpg

00D0D_gZEeL7qSRxM_1200x900.jpg
    Last edited by wwwdotgov; 07-21-2016, 10:30 AM.

Try this first. It should get the big dent out and then you may be able to clean up the rest and paint the rusty spot yourself.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSlDi4DxkHk

You will have to remove the left rear seat belt and the plastic panel to get access to the area. You may have to use a football or smaller inflatable ball in there though.
    Last edited by 1990new; 07-21-2016, 10:37 AM.

Comment

It doesn't look bad. If you dont want to try it yourself a paintless dent removal shop shouldnt have a problem with that. Here i would guess that would be a $350 CAD repair. Then you just have to touch up the rust spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's not really something a pdr guy could make look good but it's not something one would replace a quarter for.
        As for price it's hard to say no idea what your shop rates are .
        From what I can see I would say thats at least a 4 hour dent.
        It really depends on how nice you want it to be. Good news is that with the taillight removed it's pretty accessible from the back side.

Comment

Im not so sure, i have seen some pretty amazing stuff come back from the pdr shop here, its a bit large but looks like a fairly straightforeward dent. A good pdr guy should get that out real nice, just an average guy should have it looking nicer than it would in primer for less money.
          Primer usually has little to no UV resistance and will deteriorate over time unless you paint it yourself or get a more expensive epoxy primer or something. Or tremclad but tremclad fades bad after 2 years or less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Love the inflatable ball idea. You could probably also use a piece of 2x4 to pop most of it out, then your hand for the rest. I'd try the hand first, since the sheet metal's so thin, then the 2x4, then the ball--unless you already have a ball ready to go. I sure wouldn't waste a bunch of money at a body shop until I tried everything I could myself for free.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Problem with a 2x4 Tom is that it that you can't spread out the pressure and you can't help but get a crease. (Ask me how I know?)
              If it were in a location where you could apply a quick fist force to the center, you could pop it out...but there is no way to do it where it is. The rear shock tower is behind it so the pressure from the ball will go out toward the panel before it affects the stronger and well braced shock tower.

Good idea about removing the tail light to get better access. I did that with my failed 2x4 attempt.

That green 93 that I stripped at the junk yard has a dent in the very same place. I've never actually used
              the ball trick. I will take a deflated ball and pump next time I go back and try it out if it's still there.
              Last edited by 1990new; 07-21-2016, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
                Problem with a 2x4 Tom is that it that you can't spread out the pressure and you can't help but get a crease. (Ask me how I know?)
                If it were in a location where you could apply a quick fist force to the center, you could pop it out...but there is no way to do it where it is. The rear shock tower is behind it so the pressure from the ball will go out toward the panel before it affects the stronger and well braced shock tower.
                Yeah, the 2x4 would have to be padded so no crease would form, and you would have to be careful. Going thru the tail light area is a great idea for access. The ball idea is sounding like the best cheap attempt. Can't hurt, and even if he does have some of it professionally done, it might make the job easier/cheaper. Personally I wouldn't put $$$ into dent repair on a Festiva; it is an insult to the whole idea of cheap transportation!
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thank you all for the replies!
                  Since I'm having problems finding a straight festiva, I'm compromising and opening up my search by considering those that may be dented some.

Comment

Where are you...I'm in Portland.....I might be able to help you out. Mark
                    92 GL, 98k
                    77 Chevy shortbed

Comment

Originally posted by avitsefdrof View Post
                      Where are you...I'm in Portland.....I might be able to help you out. Mark
                      Tacoma, WA. I have hopes of finding the right donor car for a weekend project to perform a engine swap on. I'm looking for a white, silver, or grey festiva and absolutely avoiding all reds, blue, greens, and aqua colored cars.
                      I have 2 craigslist leads. Both silver. One pictured above about 4 hours away and dented. Other has a owner that has been very hard to communicate with and possible title issues. Dented some too.
                      Last edited by wwwdotgov; 07-22-2016, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X