Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100% what if topic only

What if topic only!

I watched the jay's garage shogun video again today. It got me thinking about how fun it would be to run a nitrous kit on Lucifer. I had zero exp with nitrous. I hear people say they use nitrous to help spool the turbo.

Could a small amount of nitrous be used to help spool up a turbo? I have had others give me good advice on how to launch the car. i was wondering tho if a small amount of nitrous would help with low end pulls. I like jay car how its seamless. It would be nice to have a bottle set up to act the same way. just turn it on when u need it. I WILL NOT BE DOING THIS- I AM JUST WONDERING HOW IT WOULD DO ON THE CAR. Im bored and just thinking about dumb stuff.
    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
    1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
    19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

I'm wondering how nitrous is set up to help spool the turbo also. Definitely interested in this thread.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

The idea sounds fun. Turbo lag until you flip the switch. If you could get it to kick in smoothly it would be great. Use it on a really tight autocross track would be fun.

I would think just flipping the switch on and do a soft launch but have quick spool up times would be nice. I dont know that i would ever turn it off.
      1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
      1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
      1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Pretty sure nitrous is a no-no at legit SCCA solo events
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

A series of pressure and vacuum switches. Turns nitrous on when vacuum drops below 3 inches, and off once intake pressure goes over 8 or whatever psi you choose. Considering this myself. Doing a 30 hp shot nitrous with propane enrichment pre turbo.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bhearts View Post
            A series of pressure and vacuum switches. Turns nitrous on when vacuum drops below 3 inches, and off once intake pressure goes over 8 or whatever psi you choose. Considering this myself. Doing a 30 hp shot nitrous with propane enrichment pre turbo.

with propane enrichment pre turbo what kind of freak are you? Sounds like fun man
            1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
              with propane enrichment pre turbo what kind of freak are you? Sounds like fun man
              I want good atomization, cool turbo inlet temps.

Comment

If two nitrous solenoid were used, you could ensure both gases would reach the cylinders at the same time, which is an issue in my mind with using gasoline enrichment.

Comment

The struggle would be finding a nitrous and propane nozzle of that size. And the right size, because propane enrichment isn't common

Comment

Originally posted by bhearts View Post
                    The struggle would be finding a nitrous and propane nozzle of that size. And the right size, because propane enrichment isn't common

My buggy runs on propane. Its a blast. I wouldnt want all that propane mess in the festy tho.
                    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
                      My buggy runs on propane. Its a blast. I wouldnt want all that propane mess in the festy tho.
                      You wouldn't need a big tank, just something like a 2lb co2 paintball tank

Comment

But you need a vaporizer and or mixer

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
                        1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Well my buggy has a vaporizer and a mixer/carb on it. Both take up a good bit of room. Thays all I know about running propane.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
                          1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I used a progressive controller to do just what your talking about in my Scirocco about 17 years ago. The controller was made by Jacobs electronics, but I'm sure they have better stuff now. I'm pretty sure megasquirt can be set up to control a nitrous solenoid and adjust the fuel for it.
                            It does work, but it's so much better to just use an appropriately sized turbocharger to begin with. I wouldn't waste my time setting all that up again.
                            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                              I used a progressive controller to do just what your talking about in my Scirocco about 17 years ago. The controller was made by Jacobs electronics, but I'm sure they have better stuff now. I'm pretty sure megasquirt can be set up to control a nitrous solenoid and adjust the fuel for it.
                              It does work, but it's so much better to just use an appropriately sized turbocharger to begin with. I wouldn't waste my time setting all that up again.
                              How does duty cycling solenoid work with a gas state item when your resolution for the solenoid is like 10 hz

Last edited by bhearts; 07-26-2016, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X