No announcement yet.

weight savings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually drilled out the inner skin of the hatch with various size hole saws... less than a pound of steel on the floor later I decided that it wasn't worth the effort. The glass is the heavy part. I have an '88 L so no rear wiper. I'll probably find a way to lighten the rear inner bumper while I'm at it.
    '88 L- B6d-Sidedraft Dellorto Carbs-G-Series-Advanced Suspension
    '89 L B3-5 speed-A/C-Advanced Suspension

Project Goldilocks '66 C10 Short Fleet BBW Build
    '65 C10 Highly Detailed Stock Restoration Thread
    '55 International Metal/Body/Paint Work
    '66 F100 Full Rotisserie Restoration
    '40 Packard 120 Convertible Coupe Restoration
    How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster
    How To Detail Sand Body Panels, Edges, Corners

Comment

My B6D car is running on a lawn mower battery. Yes it starts in cold weather just fine.
      My BP turbo car started without issue in 20 degree weather with a lawnmower battery.
      Last edited by Team Lightning; 08-11-2016, 04:59 PM.
      Jerry
      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

no way is the dash 3 lb. more like 30 with bracing and speakers. even stripped of all that is still close to 10 lb

Comment

Originally posted by F3BZ View Post
          no way is the dash 3 lb. more like 30 with bracing and speakers. even stripped of all that is still close to 10 lb
          I have pulled several of them from 91-93's, they are extremely light. That was without the speakers, but with the bracing. And that does not include the heater core or fan system.
          Last edited by Icedawg; 08-11-2016, 09:47 PM.
          Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
          Icetiva-3-race-car-build
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

One area of weight reduction that people tend to forget is....the driver!
            Now, I don't know you. Maybe you are already thin. Maybe you are more like me and can stand to loose a few pounds. But it's an area to consider.
            I know personally I've been eating way too much ice cream and attending too many bbq's this summer. Lol.
            I'm also doing a little weight reduction. Got rid of the rear seats, seat belts, rear interior plastics, washer reservoir, purge solenoid canister,drilling speed holes in the metal crash bumpers. Maybe going to get rid of heater core/fan blower assembly.
            But I'm also adding more weight with my swap so I'm just trying to equal things out.
            Last edited by wwwdotgov; 08-11-2016, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Wishful Thinking, Blue.
              Last edited by harpon; 08-12-2016, 09:05 PM.

Comment

I think the dash is extremely heavy. I took mine out to do my harness for the b6t swap and could not bring myself to put it back in because it's so heavy and I really don't like street legal track cars that don't have a dash (pet pieve) I told my boss he wasn't gonna believe me but I was leaving the dash out. He told me to take the next couple days off cause I was obviously sick. I have no interior aside from the door cards (another pet pieve that I'm not bending on). Still have the electric belts. And have not cut the rear seat braces out. I also have a lot of wire timing to do. I have a b6t with g box. 14x6 miata wheels.and the lower core support upgrade. I had it on the corner balance the other day and was at 1723. I feel I can get it to 1650ish. I think the seats I swapped in are heavier than the stockers. I need to add harness bar.
                1990 festiva l (747 the jumbo jet) (b6t & g box)

Comment

And i thought the dash was super light when i had mine out, anyone actually weighed it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

zero, 88-89.

Last edited by harpon; 08-13-2016, 09:33 AM.

Comment

i happened to have these pieces handy in the garage and a digi scale.
                      a totally stripped dash shell with no glovebox, bracing, or even the little speed nuts for speakers weighs 7.8#.
                      an almost fully loaded dash i removed from my wrecked 92 GL with everything but glovebox, ashtray, bezels, heater box/blower motor weighs 27.6#.

Comment

Working...
                      X