Braking News!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braking News!

if you go down to any parts store for stock REAR brake shoes, chances are they will have only 1 part # that fits any year Festiva. so it puzzled me when i noticed on Ebay that there were Ford OEM shoes for 1988/89 Festivas (E8BZ2200A). and Ford OEM shoes for 1990-93 Festivas (F0BZ2200A). i double checked the Ford parts catalog to verify that yes, there are 2 different shoe part #s depending on the year. stranger still, there is only 1 drum part # listed for ALL years.

over the last month there were some really good prices on Ebay for both these Ford OEM shoe kits and out of curiosity i bought one of each to see why they might have different part #s.
    compared side by side, there is a visible difference in the width of the lining. the 88/89 lining is as wide as the metal pad of the shoe whereas the 90/93 lining is slightly narrower. you can see a thin line of metal showing when looking at the lining straight on.
    harder to tell but still noticeable by eye is the thickness of the lining. the 88/89 is slightly thicker than the 90/93. .4mm thicker or .8mm overall diameter.
    using the 90/93 shoes might be a solution if your drums are too tight even with the parking levers fully retracted. if this isn't a problem, a set of 88/89 shoes should give you more wear and 2% more lining area.

it also possible that the reason for different part #s is the lining material. the 88/89 is tan color while the 90/93 is gray. the 88/89 box has an asbestos warning while the 90/93 doesn't. i don't know if they went to asbestos free material after 89

lastly, before i got done playing with the micrometer, i dug out a new Aspire shoe. i wanted to compare the surface area to the Festiva shoe so i measured the length of the linings with a radius tape. Aspire - 185.5mm. Festiva - 148.0mm and multiplied the length by width to get total area of 1 lining.
    Aspire - 30.55mm. 88/89 Festiva - 24.86mm. you can do the rest of the math but the Aspire lining has a not unsubstantial 54% more surface area!

[in the pics, the larger measurements are the 88/89 shoe (tan).]

Aspire vs Festiva shoe

That's an interesting comparison thanks for the effort.
    An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

That explains why my aspire swapped 89 stops so much easier than the other two. Oh and maybe
      the Rio front discs and calipers add a little help too.
      Last edited by 1990new; 08-20-2016, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X