Thoughts and opinions on the B5 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts and opinions on the B5 engine

Came across this while browsing kijiji last night. I don't know if I'm using the Internet wrong, but my search for a B6 of any sort is coming up dry. Would this be a suitable candidate for a swap? My original plan of building a high strung N/A B3 just does not make sense financially.

1990 Flat black Festiva...Mostly stock...

Definitely worth while. The b5 dohc is a great engine
    1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

Any info out there regarding swapping it into a Festiva? Or is it basically the same as a B6D?

Comment

Same as b6d.
        I haven't had the pleasure of owning one since they're hard to find where I am, but from what I've read from other people's accounts, they are exactly the same

Comment

Isn't it a longer block like the BP? I thought it was basically a destroked BP.
          91GL BP/F3A with boost
          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I thought the exact same thing until a friend of mine sent me a photo of the BP and b5 valve covers. The b5 is around 20mm shorter

Comment

Comment

Seem to be plenty of them up here, B6's are non existent it seems. I will definatly be considering this as an option.

Comment

De-stroked BP/B8 makes no sense. They already have the B6D to de-stroke, so that is what it probably is. The valve covers are the proof.
                  Last edited by TominMO; 08-29-2016, 08:10 AM.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

You're right. It's a destroked b6d. Same stroke as the b1 actually with a 10mm bigger bore.
                    91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

According to some info I found searching the net, the B5D has more HP than the B6D.

Info from wikipedia for the B5 and Mazda-Club.eu for the B6D

B5
                      120 HP at 6,500 rpm
                      98 LB.-FT. at 5,500 RPM

B6
                      107 HP at 6.200 RPM
                      97 LB.-FT. at 4,000 RPM

Having the max torque at a lower RPM is much better for a street car, though.
                      Rick
                      1993 Ford Festiva
                      1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                      1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                      2000 Ford E350

Comment

If you can get it the DOHC B5 is a good engine. The shorter stroke will make it more rev happy than the B6 which sounds like your original plan for the B3. The difference in low end torque is probably minimal since I think the B5 has some intake charge montion valve (VICS on the BP) and the B6 does not.

Comment

So it's looking like this will be a good choice for a swap then. I've emailed the seller to clarify the price, as it is listed on kijiji, eBay and their website at three different prices.

My next question is will the stock four speed handle this engine or will I have to start looking for a transmission swap as well?

Comment

Stock trans will be okay as long as you don't abuse it. You'll need a better clutch than stock though.
                            91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

I'd preferably like to upgrade the trans so I can beat on it without worry, but I'm already lost with this engine swapping business, and the transmission seems even more complicated to change out. Not to mention availability of engine/transmission swap parts are slim to none up here.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but what are my options as far as transmissions go to mate to the B5?

Comment

Working...
                              X