Alot of oil burning smoke when engine is cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alot of oil burning smoke when engine is cold

So I'm thinking head gasket I did have a coolant problem a week or two ago where the engine much hotter than I'd like to admit didnt seize but got the guage almost to the red ever since has smoke shows when the engine is cold but when it heats up its all good but till then the engine has a serious problem it's drivable though just gotta make sure my plugs aren't fouled and my oil is still in the case lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Festiver
    93 L find/5 speed
    BP/g15mr swapped
    Aspire brake swapped
    Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
    stripped and sold due to rust

89 festie
    rustful
    maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

93 festie
    advanced suspension
    kai/skeeter camber
    b3t/g15mr

I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

Check your compression. Also you can pull the exhaust manifold and check the runners for excessive residue to help locate the issue.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
      Check your compression. Also you can pull the exhaust manifold and check the runners for excessive residue to help locate the issue.
      Thank you I did a dry and wet test it's rings rip this engine it's ok I just need to get another engine and rebuild it while I drive with this engine

Festiver
      93 L find/5 speed
      BP/g15mr swapped
      Aspire brake swapped
      Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all

89 festie
      rustful

93 festie
      advanced suspension
      kai/skeeter camber
      b3t/g15mr

Comment

Where abouts in PA are you?

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Where abouts in PA are you?
          Bangor PA

Festiver
          93 L find/5 speed
          BP/g15mr swapped
          Aspire brake swapped

89 festie
          rustful

93 festie
          advanced suspension
          kai/skeeter camber
          b3t/g15mr

Comment

Sorry to hear this man. You may want you try a seafoam treatment to free up those rings. I've seen it bring a smoker back a few times.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
              Sorry to hear this man. You may want you try a seafoam treatment to free up those rings. I've seen it bring a smoker back a few times.
              Thank you I'll give the seafoam a try but she's still my daily and I'm still gonna try to do the 8 1/2 hr to madness she runs well after shes warm just getting there is a smoke screen lol just gotta give her 10 min in the morning

Festiver
              93 L find/5 speed
              BP/g15mr swapped
              Aspire brake swapped

89 festie
              rustful

93 festie
              advanced suspension
              kai/skeeter camber
              b3t/g15mr

Comment

saw this looking for what a good engine reads in a test and I was getting 75 psi across all cylinders lol this bp needs a rebuild bad Ill probably just get another block clean it, regasket, bearings, guides, and shave

Festiver
                93 L find/5 speed
                BP/g15mr swapped
                Aspire brake swapped

89 festie
                rustful

93 festie
                advanced suspension
                kai/skeeter camber
                b3t/g15mr

Comment

Whatcha wanna do is build a stand-by engine out of the original one once you swap it out. And just think: It HASTA be bigger once it's been bored out, right?

But if you're shopping mills - think B6T, or B6. :tm:
                  Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

If it's 75 across the board, you may have the cam timing off. Did you do a wet test?

Comment

If it's 75 across the board, you may have the cam timing off. Did you do a wet test?
                      Oh maybe I did redo it but and yeah it was 125 pretty even with some oil

Festiver
                      93 L find/5 speed
                      BP/g15mr swapped
                      Aspire brake swapped

89 festie
                      rustful

93 festie
                      advanced suspension
                      kai/skeeter camber
                      b3t/g15mr

Comment

Originally posted by Festiver View Post
                        Oh maybe I did redo it but and yeah it was 125 pretty even with some oil

If its rings i think it should be higher than 125 with oil. Sounds like timing. Mine was roughly 115,100,110,120 but when i added oil they all went up to like 225.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                          If its rings i think it should be higher than 125 with oil. Sounds like timing. Mine was roughly 115,100,110,120 but when i added oil they all went up to like 225.
                          Hmm that's a good point I'll definitely have to check timing and the oil could be explained by a very slight warped head I'll play with the timing tomorrow see if anything gets happier

Festiver
                          93 L find/5 speed
                          BP/g15mr swapped
                          Aspire brake swapped

89 festie
                          rustful

93 festie
                          advanced suspension
                          kai/skeeter camber
                          b3t/g15mr

Comment

If it got hot enough to warp the head - but it didn't crack it, you may be able to pull the head, have it checked and decked, and see if the top of the block is straight using a straight edge. It may only be a bad head gasket - but since you'd have to pull the head anyway it's a good chance to have it checked and maybe look at the valves at the same time.

As far back as the mid seventies I was working at a Japanese car specialty shop, and iron blocks with alloy heads had a wikkid tendancy to warp the heads but spare the block. The good news is that even if the gasket surface has to be milled - that isn't a very expensive operation to have done. Any good machine shop should be able to handle it

*NOTE: Because cast iron and aluminum alloys have different heat expansion properties, the heads were usually the victim. It is very rare that a block would warp too.
                            Last edited by Greywolf; 10-02-2016, 07:21 PM.
                            Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

Originally posted by Greywolf View Post
                              If it got hot enough to warp the head - but it didn't crack it, you may be able to pull the head, have it checked and decked, and see if the top of the block is straight using a straight edge. It may only be a bad head gasket - but since you'd have to pull the head anyway it's a good chance to have it checked and maybe look at the valves at the same time.

As far back as the mid seventies I was working at a Japanese car specialty shop, and iron blocks with alloy heads had a wikkid tendancy to warp the heads but spare the block. The good news is that even if the gasket surface has to be milled - that isn't a very expensive operation to have done. Any good machine shop should be able to handle it

*NOTE: Because cast iron and aluminum alloys have different heat expansion properties, the heads were usually the victim. It is very rare that a block would warp too.
                              Sadly I did have a radiator hose blow and the engine got hot not seizing overheating but hot it was in the upper 3/4 of the temp guage and I don't remember it really smoking before hand so the more I think the more it points to bad timing and the head next weekend I'll pull it off see what's what

Festiver
                              93 L find/5 speed
                              BP/g15mr swapped
                              Aspire brake swapped

89 festie
                              rustful

93 festie
                              advanced suspension
                              kai/skeeter camber
                              b3t/g15mr

Comment

Working...
                              X