License plate screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License plate screws

Someone took the rear license plate off my Festiva -- I found it a block down the street. They must have decided that the didn't want it since it expired in about two weeks.

Anyway, I need to get new mounting screws.
    Somebody told me 6mm so I bought a couple but they are too big.

What size metric thread is used to attach the plates to the rear hatch?

Thanks.

(I did every search I could think of and found nothing on license plate screws)

There are a lot of options for tag hardware, and it seems like you need to "PIRATE PROOF" yours - keep in mind you can always oversize your mounting holes, and what I would recommend (I was thinking I need to do this myself too) is to drill out or pop out the plastic inserts and use quarter twenty bolts with aircraft type nylon locking nuts, with the nuts on the inside of the hatch.

The reason for this is that when the hatch is closed and locked, if anyone tries to turn loose the bolts from the outside:
    - they can get them loose, but the locknut on the inside will then spin with the bolt and prevent the mounting bolts from being unscrewed.
    The acronym "KMA" applies! :bootyshake:

This does TWO things:
    1) It prevents your plate from being stolen.
    2) If you find the bolts are loose - it tells you that someone DID try to rip off your tag again
    ~You can also use four bolts, instead of just two on the top edge, which will prevent 'Plate Rattle'

*NOTE: Washers on the inside will be needed if the nylon anchors are completely removed for the install, you will also want to seal around the bolt with silicon sealer. You can access the back of the tag mounting area by removing the panel on the inside of the hatch.

*NOTE 2: If you want original hardware for this instead of theft proofing it, look at this link-

I have found that the plastic anchors wear out over time, and my tag on the '91 rattles - so I plan to bolt the tag on solidly as I describe above for that reason, not because of thieves. But when I thought about it, it makes sense to give a cheap ass thief a bad day at the same time!

I can't stand gutter maggots like that, and will thwart them every chance I get.

CHEERS, Brother! Give 'em hell!!!

* One final note. You should report to the police that someone in your area is trying to steal license plates. It's bound to be someone nearby that is too cheap and sorry to deserve to drive! It could also be someone about to commit a major crime, who wants to mask their getaway vehicle, but the tag being discarded points more towards a punk trying to drive what they can't afford to license.

Also - anyone who has to STEAL a license tag is guaranteed to have no insurance, and not give a damn about whatever damage they do - and who wants to share the road with a prick like that? In the best of all possible outcomes, the cops will be alerted to check out anyone that seems flakey and will catch them.

"STUPID people are THEIR OWN PUNISHMENT!!!"
    Last edited by Greywolf; 10-01-2016, 04:14 PM.
    Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

Funny - I wonder why they didn't realize your tag wasn't worth stealing before they went to all the trouble to sneak up and take it off when no one was looking?

It underscores the idiocy of most thieves...

Either that, or it fell off your car, and that would be even more reason to mount it like I said. :thumbup:
      Last edited by Greywolf; 10-01-2016, 04:24 PM.
      Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

And go with stainless hardware, just to keep it looking better and not rusting up on you. I use the security license plate fasteners in stainless at any McParts, but Greywolf's idea is just as good and probably a couple dollars cheaper.

Instead of silicon you can use rubber washers between the plate and body, on the outside of the hatch.
        Last edited by TominMO; 10-01-2016, 05:37 PM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Yeah, I bought Torx screws to deter thieves, but the M6 were too fat to fit in the holes. I guess I could just buy a smaller size.

Comment

Originally posted by Onree View Post
            Yeah, I bought Torx screws to deter thieves, but the M6 were too fat to fit in the holes. I guess I could just buy a smaller size.
            Sorry to be so late with this, I thought I had already posted. The correct size is M5 for license plate screws or bolts. I'm just posting this to help the next guy who does a search for license plate screws.
            I found some M5 Torx screws, which should be fairly secure.

Comment

Working...
            X