X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B3 cat delete/ power??

so air box mod... drill holes in box
    exhaust,,,, cat delete...
    will this help anything,, i'm sure it's minimal but at 50hsp, maybe anything helps

Air box mod does help the very top end, but for daily use, it's just for more noise. Cat delete is in the same line, mostly just noise. Besides, a working cat won't cost you power, but the rest of the exhaust will as it's very small.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I deleted my cat welding a pipe in place and I replaced my intake tube going to my vane maf intake box with pvc and elbows all glued. Noticeable difference in performance. I used to travel uphill on the way back home before I moved and I seen a difference.
      Last edited by Winfield1990; 11-06-2016, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Winfield1990 View Post
        I deleted my cat welding a pipe in place and I replaced my intake tube going to my vane maf intake box with pvc and elbows all glued. Noticeable difference in performance. I used to travel uphill on the way back home before I moved and I seen a difference.
        This would certainly be the case if your cat was getting plugged up. Years ago, I replaced the cat in my gen1 Toyota MR2. The new one looked like a screen door mesh when you looked thru it; the old one was only a pinhole of light, even when held up to the sun! Hwy mileage jumped from 25 to 35, and it had significantly more power.
        Last edited by TominMO; 11-06-2016, 10:35 AM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

got a pic of your intake??

Originally posted by Winfield1990 View Post

Comment

A Catalytic converter has always been a piece of poo and a sham-

If you look through a new one, all you'll see is a little piece of screen door like material the air flows through-

SOMEHOW this will clean the air- and it may have some slight effect-

until it clogs up and then it just throws backpressure towards the motor and keeps the exhaust from doing it's own breathing I think.

It costs a lot of money really for what it is, so you'll pay the manufacturing interests and blame the environmentalists. Gee, haven't seen THAT before!htd

If they wanted another resonator- not a bad idea and maybe some possible expansion chamber effect- they coulda just put one on- quieter at least- and NOT put a screen door in there to get clogged up.
            Last edited by harpon; 11-06-2016, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Harpon, do you even have a clue??? Research before you post please.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I used to have a Jeep CJ. They didn't put a cat on from the factory because of getting sued for causing grass fires when off-roading. The government granted the exemption. The engine worked great.

Comment

I will take a picture of my intake shortly. Im not home right now but it cost me less to make the intake than replace the torn rubber accordian.

It has been a while since I did the mod but I remember noticing a bigger effect after doing my intake than my exhaust. Primary think its due to the fact thick wall pvc is insulating so intake charge is cooler more consistent shape and smooth more so than a leak past my maf because i taped it up really well before it was replaced.

Comment

Pvc intake cheap and made a difference did it as a repair to replace torn tube and definitely made hillclimbing around 60-70 easier

Having a problem putting in picture.unnamed.jpg
                    Last edited by Winfield1990; 11-07-2016, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by harpon View Post
                      ...you'll see is a little piece of screen door like material the air flows through-
                      Man, all those suckers at scrap yards paying $80+ for a 20 year old metal tube with pieces of a screen door in it must be idiots!

Doh.
                      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                        Harpon, do you even have a clue??? Research before you post please.

Lmao
                        Last edited by rmoltis; 11-11-2016, 05:31 PM.
                        Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Originally posted by harpon View Post
                          A Catalytic converter has always been a piece of poo and a sham-

If you look through a new one, all you'll see is a little piece of screen door like material the air flows through-

SOMEHOW this will clean the air- and it may have some slight effect-

until it clogs up and then it just throws backpressure towards the motor and keeps the exhaust from doing it's own breathing I think.

It costs a lot of money really for what it is, so you'll pay the manufacturing interests and blame the environmentalists. Gee, haven't seen THAT before!htd

If they wanted another resonator- not a bad idea and maybe some possible expansion chamber effect- they coulda just put one on- quieter at least- and NOT put a screen door in there to get clogged up.
                          Catalytic converters basically just get extremely hot 1700+ °f to burn off extra fuel not burned by the engine how it does this I know is but the material they use involving precious metals and such

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                          Festiver
                          93 L find/5 speed
                          BP/g15mr swapped
                          Aspire brake swapped
                          Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
                          stripped and sold due to rust

89 festie
                          rustful
                          maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

93 festie
                          advanced suspension
                          kai/skeeter camber
                          b3t/g15mr

I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

Comment

That mesh you see makes a bunch of little tunnels to increase the surface area of substrate the exhaust comes into contact with.

These little tunnels are coated in certain chemicals which when warmed to a certain temp 1200°+, react with emissions to convert most into harmless water and such.
                            Or they reduce the content of harmful emissions.

When running correctly the high operating temp helps burn off contaminants keeping it clean and free flowing.

It's not until your failure to maintain you're vehicle causes it to degrade & run poorly causing a clogging of the cat.

Which then causes other problems.

I have a cat on my exhaust upgrade and it made no difference in flow. And if it does it is too neglible to worry about unless your looking to shave that extra .01second off your 1/4 mile lol.

They keep the air pollution down which reduces your chance of catching cancer breathing the air everyday.

My friend just died of cancer the other day guys.
                            People removing their cats just contribute to the global problem.

I personally like how the cat helps muffle some of the exhaust sound from the header, cleaning it up before it hit the resonator & muffler.
                            Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Working...
                            X