B3 engine Non-interference design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B3 engine Non-interference design?

I have read conflicting information in regards to whether or not the B3 engine in my 93 Festiva is an interference or non-interference design.
    Most people say it is indeed non-interference, but I have also read about others whose timing belts broke and the valves were damaged.
    My engine has 140000km and I want to know if changing the timing belt is a critical item that I should do ASAP, or can it wait?

Thanks

I generally change my timing belt and water pump every 60,000 miles. The belt normally looks good but its insurance to me.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

The engine is non-interference. No valve to piston damage will occur upon belt failure. Changing the belt is your choice. 60-70K is a normal change interval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
      “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I have 140000 km's so timing belt is overdue.
        At least I don't have to worry about catastrophic engine damage if I don't get it done right away.

Comment

Its easy to replace and cheap to get a kit from rockauto or ebay.
          I commute a decent distance and the time i would probably spend on the side of the road if it broke is more than the time spent replacing it and the resulting loss in hours at work is more than the cost of the parts. So i do mine every 100,000km. Put the 3rd one in last fall. The ones that come out always look good though.

Comment

Should I replace the water pump and tensioner pulley as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Bejabbers View Post
              Should I replace the water pump and tensioner pulley as well?
              You may as well while you're in there.
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada
              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Tensioner pulley for sure, water pump is up to you. I replaced mine at about 400,000km just because i thought i should. The aftermarket one i got from napa looked very inferior, the oem one that was still in the car looked to be in perfect shape still. I wouldn't hesitate to put it back in. The napa one seems to be working though.

Comment

I can get the belt, waterpump and pulley for around $90 CDN so I might as well do everything.

Comment

Working...
                  X