Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does a "poppy" clutch indicate and what may be the cure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does a "poppy" clutch indicate and what may be the cure?

It's not my Festy or Aspire but the Hyundai accent I got recently-

The clutch defies easing off of- instead it hits one small area of pedal and sorta pops then quickly into motion-

I have a vague notion that whoever drove it before me- the car has 86k miles- probably popped it like that and wore the pressure plate that way- Does that sound feasible?

I'm thinking about adjusting it lower to the floor and that may not stress my leg as much- I get the seat far forward but the fat dashboard gets in the way of my knees quickly-

I'm wondering if a clutch replacement at some time may change that, or if it's some inherent condition of the car (I wouldn't think so)
    The real problem I fear will be the CV axles- it's gotta be stressing them- the car tends to lurch forward.

The 1.6 in this car really gets up and goes, but the clutch is wearing me out in traffic.

Might be a sticky pressure plate or clutch fork they sound like feasible issues anyway

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Festiver
    93 L find/5 speed
    BP/g15mr swapped
    Aspire brake swapped
    Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
    stripped and sold due to rust

89 festie
    rustful
    maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

93 festie
    advanced suspension
    kai/skeeter camber
    b3t/g15mr

I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

Comment

I don't mean it TOTALLY defies easing off- it's just very difficult and requires a tense leg through the clutching.
      And sometimes it will "bounce" while I'm trying not to pop it.

There are no tranny issues otherwise

Comment

Does it have a slave cylinder? If so that might be the issue
        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I believe you are describing a clutch chattering condition which will require replacement of clutch components. Possible causes: engine or transmission oil, grease, maybe antifreeze, on the disc friction material or glazing from heat; friction material is worn down to metal; bent clutch disc from improper trans installation; broken or bent release fingers on the pressure plate from fatigue or an engine/trans installation; overheated areas on flywheel or pressure plate causing eneven friction or warping, from over-slipping or "riding" clutch; warped diaphram type spring, when pressure plate bolts are not evenly tightened on installation, causes unequal non-parallel application of pressure plate surface; weak or displaced spring on torsion spring type pressure plate; bent clutch fork applies bearing unevenly against release fingers; missing or extremely worn pilot bearing.
          Last edited by tooldude; 11-01-2016, 01:06 AM.
          When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Working...
          X