My festiva wont idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
    I meant the one from when you took the video.
    Obd1 has no memory. It doesn't store codes. When the light comes on it has the code, if it goes out its gone.
    These cars do have code memory actually. I had to clear my code after replacing items.

Also, Coolant temp sensor ended being the root of all my cars running issues, def. get that replaced.
    Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
    Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
    Feel free to PM me anytime!
    Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
    Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Originally posted by w4rkry View Post
      These cars do have code memory actually. I had to clear my code after replacing items.

Also, Coolant temp sensor ended being the root of all my cars running issues, def. get that replaced.
      pain in the butt to replace?

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyman View Post
        pain in the butt to replace?
        Pretty easy actually. I used a wrench to get out, deep socket to install new one. Remove the plastic extra box on intake to access it easily. I can send pictures from repair manual if it helps.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
        Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
        Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
        Feel free to PM me anytime!
        Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
        Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

car is at mechanic shop

Comment

Its not going well. Car has been at mechanic shop since early November. He Verified timing belt was not an issue. Cam timing is all good.

Now he suspects its the distributor pick up coil.

Comment

Question: does the VAF handle IAC duties in Festivas? I find an IAC valve listed for Aspires on Rock Auto, but not one for Festivas. There is a Festiva IAC valve connector, though.
              Last edited by TominMO; 11-22-2016, 10:34 AM.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

its throwing a code 17 now.

anyone???

Comment

its throwing a code 17 now.

anyone???
                  Need a new O2 sensor. Get a Denso 234-1010 (plug and play) or 234-1000 (splice). Only this brand, not Bosch or anything else.
                  Last edited by TominMO; 11-22-2016, 01:39 PM.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                    Need a new O2 sensor. Get a Denso 234-1010 (plug and play) or 234-1000 (splice). Only this brand, not Bosch or anything else.
                    I actually have a bosch name brand splice together. bought it from orielly's about 3wks ago. I still have the receipt. I could return it. not sure if I need a special tool to remove the other one?

Comment

I've used Bosch splice together from RockAuto with no problems. Still get 35MPG doing about 75mph on the highway.
                      "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                      sigpic
                      "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                      "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                      "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                      "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

I actually have a bosch name brand splice together. bought it from orielly's about 3wks ago. I still have the receipt. I could return it. not sure if I need a special tool to remove the other one?
                        I'd still go with the Denso. There is a special socket for O2 sensors. Sounds like you don't have a lot of experience working on cars. Don't pay others to do it, learn how. Lots cheaper.

And get a Haynes Festiva repair manual, at the least!

Did you mean the Bosch is installed? If so, and you are getting a code 17, then the Bosch isn't doing its job, which is why I recommended the Denso. Different people have reported good or bad luck with non-Densos, so I say just get the right one.
                        Last edited by TominMO; 11-22-2016, 04:03 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Question: does the VAF handle IAC duties in Festivas? I find an IAC valve listed for Aspires on Rock Auto, but not one for Festivas. There is a Festiva IAC valve connector, though.
                          VAF and IAC don't talk to each other, the idle rpm is set via ECU by looking at rpm and load and then sending appropriate signal to IAC stepper motor at least until engine reaches op temp and then it's just load comp for accessories.
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I'd still go with the Denso. There is a special socket for O2 sensors. Sounds like you don't have a lot of experience working on cars. Don't pay others to do it, learn how. Lots cheaper.

And get a Haynes Festiva repair manual, at the least!

Did you mean the Bosch is installed? If so, and you are getting a code 17, then the Bosch isn't doing its job, which is why I recommended the Denso. Different people have reported good or bad luck with non-Densos, so I say just get the right one.
                            No it is still in the package. while the car was at the mechanic shop it just sat in the center council. The mechanic unplugged the 02 sensor and the motor didn't run any different so he ruled out a 02 senor issue. that's his theory. yes when I run a code light check the only code it throws is a 17

Comment

just ordered a denso 234-1010 from rockauto. $19 and some change shipped.

Comment

To further address the Denso vs Bosch O2 sensor debate:

I see that Rock Auto lists a Bosch plug-and-play sensor for the Festiva, just like they do for Denso. It may be that this particular Bosch one has the right electrical properties (resistance?) for our application; and the problem people may have with Bosches is when they get generic splice-in ones, which might be electrically different, to try to fit a broader range of applications. Just a possibility. I still say why guess, just get the OEM Denso part.
                                Last edited by TominMO; 11-24-2016, 10:01 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                                X