Inner rocker panal rot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inner rocker panal rot.

I have a 93 whose body is in over all good visible condition.Its issue is rusting from the inside out ,inside of the rockers.I have done what I can to slow it down.I have seen mention that the heavier metal inside the rockers are structural and was wondering if any have tackle this and how this could be repaired.I am more looking for life extention than a ground up restoration.

Originally posted by jfd64 View Post
    I have a 93 whose body is in over all good visible condition.Its issue is rusting from the inside out ,inside of the rockers.I have done what I can to slow it down.I have seen mention that the heavier metal inside the rockers are structural and was wondering if any have tackle this and how this could be repaired.I am more looking for life extention than a ground up restoration.
    I am going to have to tackle this eventually too.

My rockers are really bad down by the pinchwelds that are completely toast on my car.

My plan was just to cut both the rocker, and pinchweld out, and just do what I can to restore structural strength with large pieces of metal welded up in there, then just riveting sheetmetal or something in there to imitate rockers.

It's not the best plan if you want to look as factory as possibly, but in order to really do that in the first place you would have had to have got your car from a salt free, and dry state.
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Yes I thought something like that would be the ticket.Has anyone ever had one get bad enough to sag or be un-roadworthy due to interior rocker rot?
      Last edited by jfd64; 11-01-2016, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Ask hofficergrover about that
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I will take that as a yes,that is has and can happen.

Comment

Yea, it was that bad... And he continued to drive it with passengers on board.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Underneath mine is still very solid.I wonder if I am still safe with lighter loads.

Comment

Here's what mine looked like when I quit driving it.
                It was way better looking just the winter before. After I see it I quit driving it right away.
                Hi, I've shared 1 photo via Photobucket. Please click the link to view photos: http://share.photobucket.com/sharepr...hp?id=MjAzMzY=
                I do body work for a living and I didn't wanna try and save it. Too much work . And it's like putting a bandaid on a fart it's not gunna help much
                Last edited by william; 11-02-2016, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
                  Here's what mine looked like when I quit driving it.
                  It was way better looking just the winter before. After I see it I quit driving it right away.
                  Hi, I've shared 1 photo via Photobucket. Please click the link to view photos: http://share.photobucket.com/sharepr...hp?id=MjAzMzY=
                  I do body work for a living and I didn't wanna try and save it. Too much work . And it's like putting a bandaid on a fart it's not gunna help much
                  Link doesn't work. All I get is a Photobucket logo and that's it.
                  1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                  2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                  1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Dang it. It works when I click it lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Link works for me :^)
                      Previous owner of 8 festivas... looking for number 9

Adam

Comment

Works for me too and jeez that is rough
                        Last edited by Festiver; 11-02-2016, 01:50 PM.
                        Festiver
                        93 L find/5 speed
                        BP/g15mr swapped
                        Aspire brake swapped
                        Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
                        stripped and sold due to rust

89 festie
                        rustful
                        maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

93 festie
                        advanced suspension
                        kai/skeeter camber
                        b3t/g15mr

I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

Comment

That is where the trailing arm attaches, William and yes at that point,to me something to be stripped down and parted out.That is not my issue.My issue presented when i pulled my carpet out, the inside of the car along the interior of the lower door sill. as well as the heavier reinforcement inside the rockers is rotting.Outside of the rockers are still pretty solid but patched up.Any ideas on that?

Comment

Working...
                          X