ømëga engine options could use some second opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ømëga engine options could use some second opinions

So ømëga will be my daily no crazy horsepower no mind blowing cornering abilities just present beautiful and practical and economical also it will tow another festiva on a small trailer build for a festiva
    Fuel efficiency
    Torque
    Decent power (no reason to aim to be slow as a dog)
    And reliability is key

Mazda b series engines have really proved to be some of the best in my opinion and the torque of a bp is just amazing after 35mph I just leave her in fifth and can easily cruise up most hills at 1700 rpm at light throttle fuel efficiency hasn't been fantastic even though I'm a pretty decent ecodriver, usually get 22 mpg where as the ol b3 usually got 45mpg.

Anyway here's what I'm thinking as far as options again aiming for
    fuel efficiency (would prefer 35+ with very light highway driving)
    towing
    also I live in a very hilly area "if its not uphill it's down hill"

B3+T ehh maybe towing itd probably do it but how much stress

Zjve 1.3 dohc jdm only basically 2nd gen b3 but I'd need to do a ms ecu as parts are a pain to get engine is cheap though

B6d I'd need to see in action they seem decent though

B6t great engine but I'd feel like the economy would be trash towing

B8 Charlie suggested and I'm debating it but torque compared to bp? Also economy vs the bp?

Bp major possibility just i feel fuel efficiency isn't too great with this engine

Bpt ehh idk POWAAA but that's what other cars are for festivas don't need all the power

Vw TDI? This has been bouncing around in my thoughts for some time I mean itd do everything I want well I just have to research the reliability more

Vw Awp 1.8t nope not dealing with 20 bent valves (which is inconvenient because there's a good engine in my garage now for sale)

Also I have been looking around for this info I have been trying to choose for a while Charlie suggested the b8me in the other thread and I trust his choice and am definitely debating it I just want to know others thoughts and opinions to me this is kinda like a tattoo where if its going in its staying in unless major issues

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Festiver
    93 L find/5 speed
    BP/g15mr swapped
    Aspire brake swapped
    Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
    stripped and sold due to rust

89 festie
    rustful
    maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

93 festie
    advanced suspension
    kai/skeeter camber
    b3t/g15mr

I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

B8/BP is the best option if you want to regularly tow 2000+ pounds.

The problem I see is the current 22mpg you're getting now. That's way below the average i see on here with that swap. Better check the o2 sensor voltage and cam timing.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
      B8/BP is the best option if you want to regularly tow 2000+ pounds.

The problem I see is the current 22mpg you're getting now. That's way below the average i see on here with that swap. Better check the o2 sensor voltage and cam timing.
      My o2 was showing .3v a little on the lean side and I 95% sure I got the cam timing right also the voltage was at idle I'd like to get a lc1 wideband to know what's really going on all across the rev range also my wot has less power then my 3/4

Festiver
      93 L find/5 speed
      BP/g15mr swapped
      Aspire brake swapped
      Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all

89 festie
      rustful

93 festie
      advanced suspension
      kai/skeeter camber
      b3t/g15mr

Comment

The stock ecu has some weird fueling. According to my wideband at WOT it runs leaner than at 50-75% throttle. If I'm running on the stock b3 injectors full throttle runs 17:1 afr or leaner. 50-75% throttle is around 15-16:1 and it pulls harder. If I put larger injectors in it does the same thing just way richer. Get a wideband in there narrow bands are almost useless for tuning IMO.
        Last edited by shorestiva; 11-02-2016, 06:49 AM.
        Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

Originally posted by shorestiva View Post
          The stock ecu has some weird fueling. According to my wideband at WOT it runs leaner than at 50-75% throttle. If I'm running on the stock b3 injectors full throttle runs 17:1 afr or leaner. 50-75% throttle is around 15-16:1 and it pulls harder. If I put larger injectors in it does the same thing just way richer. Get a wideband in there narrow bands are almost useless for tuning IMO.
          Exactly its like a guess and that is odd maybe run bigger injectors and dial back your vaf

Festiver
          93 L find/5 speed
          BP/g15mr swapped
          Aspire brake swapped

89 festie
          rustful

93 festie
          advanced suspension
          kai/skeeter camber
          b3t/g15mr

Comment

I've got the vaf leaned out like 15 clicks. Need to go with smaller injectors and bump fuel pressure.

Way too many cars

Comment

You should NEVER need 15 clicks on a VAF adjustment. Something is wrong there. 4 clicks is huuuge.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Also, check into the ZMDE 1.6 DOHC engines that came in early 2000s Protege. With the complete obd2 system, you'd have a car with excellent mileage, great TQ and parts availability too. The JDM version is 1.5L and the engines go cheap when they come up on eBay. Nobody wants them for anything.
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Festiver View Post
                  So ømëga will be my daily no crazy horsepower no mind blowing cornering abilities just present beautiful and practical and economical also it will tow another festiva on a small trailer build for a festiva
                  Fuel efficiency
                  Torque
                  Decent power (no reason to aim to be slow as a dog)
                  And reliability is key

Mazda b series engines have really proved to be some of the best in my opinion and the torque of a bp is just amazing after 35mph I just leave her in fifth and can easily cruise up most hills at 1700 rpm at light throttle fuel efficiency hasn't been fantastic even though I'm a pretty decent ecodriver, usually get 22 mpg where as the ol b3 usually got 45mpg.

Anyway here's what I'm thinking as far as options again aiming for
                  fuel efficiency (would prefer 35+ with very light highway driving)
                  towing
                  also I live in a very hilly area "if its not uphill it's down hill"

B3+T ehh maybe towing itd probably do it but how much stress

Zjve 1.3 dohc jdm only basically 2nd gen b3 but I'd need to do a ms ecu as parts are a pain to get engine is cheap though

B6d I'd need to see in action they seem decent though

B6t great engine but I'd feel like the economy would be trash towing

B8 Charlie suggested and I'm debating it but torque compared to bp? Also economy vs the bp?

Bp major possibility just i feel fuel efficiency isn't too great with this engine

Bpt ehh idk POWAAA but that's what other cars are for festivas don't need all the power

Vw TDI? This has been bouncing around in my thoughts for some time I mean itd do everything I want well I just have to research the reliability more

Vw Awp 1.8t nope not dealing with 20 bent valves (which is inconvenient because there's a good engine in my garage now for sale)

Also I have been looking around for this info I have been trying to choose for a while Charlie suggested the b8me in the other thread and I trust his choice and am definitely debating it I just want to know others thoughts and opinions to me this is kinda like a tattoo where if its going in its staying in unless major issues

I have 20 bent valves in my garage as well!
                  1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
                  1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
                  1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
                  19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
                  1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
                    I have 20 bent valves in my garage as well!
                    Lol that sucks mine hasnt grenaded yet but a few guys on here told me to look into the timing belt reliability and it was less than impressive

Festiver
                    93 L find/5 speed
                    BP/g15mr swapped
                    Aspire brake swapped

89 festie
                    rustful

93 festie
                    advanced suspension
                    kai/skeeter camber
                    b3t/g15mr

Comment

You should NEVER need 15 clicks on a VAF adjustment. Something is wrong there. 4 clicks is huuuge.
                      :dontknow: 220cc ish injectors with a b3 ecu. Brings my midrange down to around 13-14:1 Its around 9-10:1 at high rpms and full throttle.
                      Last edited by shorestiva; 11-02-2016, 06:28 PM.

Way too many cars

Comment

This mix and match injectors and vaf and ecu crap sounds like way more hassle than it's worth.
                        91GL BP/F3A with boost
                        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Oh it is. I have a plug n play megasquirt sitting here that would make life much easier. My plan was to get it running as good as possible on the stock ecu, dyno it, then drop in the megasquirt and see how much power I gain. I think if I was running a normal b6d it wouldn't be as bad.

Way too many cars

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                            Also, check into the ZMDE 1.6 DOHC engines that came in early 2000s Protege. With the complete obd2 system, you'd have a car with excellent mileage, great TQ and parts availability too. The JDM version is 1.5L and the engines go cheap when they come up on eBay. Nobody wants them for anything.
                            I forgot about that lil guy ok so b8 bp zjve zmde and I'm still kicking TDI around idk

Festiver
                            93 L find/5 speed
                            BP/g15mr swapped
                            Aspire brake swapped

89 festie
                            rustful

93 festie
                            advanced suspension
                            kai/skeeter camber
                            b3t/g15mr

Comment

I'm planning on a B6d on B3 fuel injection later this month. This will be an auto b6d with Capri manifolds, so it wont be totally comparable to what Joe is running, but it should help me to give better tuning advice. Right now all I have is what I've seen with Dragonhealers car. That car fueled fine with b3 injectors at WOT.
                              Last edited by Advancedynamix; 11-02-2016, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X