Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

92 capri xr2 motor + tranny swap into festiva? Front Suspension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92 capri xr2 motor + tranny swap into festiva? Front Suspension?

I recently stumbled upon a (virtually) complete 1992 Mercury Capri XR2 with a manual transmission and I was wondering if anyone has used the transmission from this car in a swap into the festy. I have been planning on using the Festiva transmission so I didnt have to mess with modifying all 3 mounts, but after looking up the motor mounts for the capri, they seem to be very similar to those on the festiva. Has anyone used a manual transmission from this car before? How close are the mounting points/will I have to modify these?
    I know the next step will then be to fab up some half shaft assemblies, but if I can get a heavier duty tranny in there from the start I think it will be worth the trouble. I guess, that is of course unless I am able to somehow swap over the front suspension parts from the Capri? I just brought the car to my shop so I havent had a chance to really look at anything, but I figured Id put out some feelers.

I have had a tab open on my computer to a member build from this forum by Chris Rummel. It has been exceptionally helpful in the foresight for this project.

Thanks for all the help!
    TC

Yes many people have used the G series Trans from the XR2. There are a handful of post's about how to do it. It sounds pretty easy with just some modified mounts and a little bit of cutting.
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

alright cool thanks, ill keep looking around for them!

Comment

The g15mr xr2 trans and axle set is one of the best for these cars I currently run one I highly suggest a 5th gear swap and if you're not an experienced fab guy Rob (shadetree) makes great sets of engine and trans mounts

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Festiver; 11-09-2016, 11:28 AM.
        Festiver
        93 L find/5 speed
        BP/g15mr swapped
        Aspire brake swapped
        Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
        stripped and sold due to rust

89 festie
        rustful
        maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

93 festie
        advanced suspension
        kai/skeeter camber
        b3t/g15mr

I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

Comment

No need to fabricate half shafts. The XR2 axles fit perfectly if you place the engine in the bay properly. You can use stock Festiva passenger side engine mount with some spacers between the bracket and block and longer bolts, and just make the 2 trans mounts. It's well worth the trouble as the XR2,tranny is way stronger than the stock Festiva tranny and you can just use a standard Exedy clutch for up to 200hp.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Working...
          X