Weird shimmy when braking from 55mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird shimmy when braking from 55mph

So the 55mph shimmy is normal and I don't find to be annoying grown quite used to it but when braking from 55 this violent steering wheel shake comes up till I get to 40 mph kinda annoying and a bit worrying I've checked everything nothing loose and my brake pedal isn't vibrating like warped rotors

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Festiver
    93 L find/5 speed
    BP/g15mr swapped
    Aspire brake swapped
    Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
    stripped and sold due to rust

89 festie
    rustful
    maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

93 festie
    advanced suspension
    kai/skeeter camber
    b3t/g15mr

I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

I've experienced this issue as have others.......my fix was the steering rack....the inner tie rods were the biggest contributor for me.....even after new tires, rack and outer tie rods, alignment......I get a "livable" vibration......worse at some speeds and better at others.......maybe 13 inchers would absorb some of the shake......best of luck.
    92 GL, 98k
    77 Chevy shortbed

Comment

Try stopping with only the e-brake handle to see if it's in the rear. I recently had a vibration/shimmy feeling which was rotors and the rear. Replacing the rotors made it mostly good, but new shoes (everything else was already new) finished it.
      "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
      "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
      "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
      "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
      "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
      "Wenona"-89L parts car
      "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Originally posted by avitsefdrof View Post
        I've experienced this issue as have others.......my fix was the steering rack....the inner tie rods were the biggest contributor for me.....even after new tires, rack and outer tie rods, alignment......I get a "livable" vibration......worse at some speeds and better at others.......maybe 13 inchers would absorb some of the shake......best of luck.
        My rack is worn but all the parts from the rack out have been recently replaced

Festiver
        93 L find/5 speed
        BP/g15mr swapped
        Aspire brake swapped
        Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all

89 festie
        rustful

93 festie
        advanced suspension
        kai/skeeter camber
        b3t/g15mr

Comment

Originally posted by jawja jim View Post
          Try stopping with only the e-brake handle to see if it's in the rear. I recently had a vibration/shimmy feeling which was rotors and the rear. Replacing the rotors made it mostly good, but new shoes (everything else was already new) finished it.
          I'll try that tomorrow thanks

Festiver
          93 L find/5 speed
          BP/g15mr swapped
          Aspire brake swapped

89 festie
          rustful

93 festie
          advanced suspension
          kai/skeeter camber
          b3t/g15mr

Comment

I also have a similar issue unsure what it is. Havent had time to look into it. Mine happens under moderate braking at speeds of 45-55 I havent paid too much attention recently to remember the details. But if I brake a little harder when it is happening it makes it stop. Assuming it is my rear brakes but idk. Let me know when solve it I will look into using ebrake and check my rack out sometime like others said.

Comment

Originally posted by Winfield1990 View Post
              I also have a similar issue unsure what it is. Havent had time to look into it. Mine happens under moderate braking at speeds of 45-55 I havent paid too much attention recently to remember the details. But if I brake a little harder when it is happening it makes it stop. Assuming it is my rear brakes but idk. Let me know when solve it I will look into using ebrake and check my rack out sometime like others said.
              Exactly what happens to me I would suspect rear but the mainly feeling I'm getting is the steering wheel as if it was the front

Festiver
              93 L find/5 speed
              BP/g15mr swapped
              Aspire brake swapped

89 festie
              rustful

93 festie
              advanced suspension
              kai/skeeter camber
              b3t/g15mr

Comment

So much to check.

Lug nuts/lug studs tight
                problem with a tire--rotate them to see if the problem moves or goes away
                warped rotors
                tie rod ends
                tie rods
                LCA ball joint
                torn CV axle boots--grit getting in, grease out, causing bearing wear

Maybe other stuff I didn't think about.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

These cars are very sensitive to how round and true the wheels and tires are on them. Most newer vehicles have at least 800 extra pounds on them to stabilize the vehicle with slightly out of round tires, but the Festiva is so light that it shakes easily. I have noticed this on my own cars from swapping from one set of tires to the next. With my 14" wheels, the car used to ride smooth as glass at any speed, but it shook like a wet dog at 60mph with my 13" wheels. This has been the case with 3 of my Festivas. tires make a huge difference. Also, make sure your wheels are evenly torqued too. Hub centric fitment is a plus, but not necessary if your wheel bolts are evenly torqued. sometimes these cars get the shakes with loose wheel bearings too.
                  Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Charlie can you talk a little more about tires... street , track, street/track day ,, DD,, ect. also wheels 13 vs 14 vs 15 and the like

Comment

I have replaced everything on my front end including the rack. The only thing that eliminated my shakes were Yokohama 12" tires. Can drive any speed now without vibration.

"Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
                      “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Originally posted by dalebwilson View Post
                        I have replaced everything on my front end including the rack. The only thing that eliminated my shakes were Yokohama 12" tires. Can drive any speed now without vibration.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....161110090208:s
                        I was using the Yokohama 12" tires when I first got my Festiva and had no wobbles until I switched out to the 14" tires that everyone else uses. I thought at first if may be because I was no longer hub Centric so I carefully redid all of my Lug Studs to try to get it as even as possible and it helped a little. The biggest thing I noticed when I did that is that it wobbled at 45mph at first then once I redid all of the Lug Studs it changed to a 55mph wobble. I think the tires are probably the main cause like charlie is saying. I did not know better when I got them mounted but you can ask for a Road Force chart on your tires when they are mounted and it will tell you what is going on with each tire such as High Spots. If you have a good technician mounting your tires that cares then they can get the road force a lot lower than someone who just slaps the tire on one time and thinks it is good enough.
                        Last edited by firebush357; 11-10-2016, 06:56 AM.
                        "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                        sigpic
                        "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                        "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                        "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                        "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

I actually just swappex my rims and tires from 12 yokos to some 165 x12s from my parts car. I dont know if it happened after that or not but had better tread and figured less spinning off the line at stop lights since have stage 2 clutch less tire wear

Comment

Add to firebush: most shops don't dynamic balance tires, and even when they do, the machines are typically set to round off the numbers to the nearest quarter ounce. This can still leave a high speed shimmy. Whenever I balance tires for myself or any customer, I set the machine for raw numbers (no rounding) and go for under a tenth of an ounce. Many times with new tires i can get under .05 without much fuss.

Granted balance has much to do with shimmy, the tech still needs to observe the tire for trueness... A perfectly balanced tire that's egg shaped will still cause vibration.
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                              So much to check.

Lug nuts/lug studs tight
                              problem with a tire--rotate them to see if the problem moves or goes away
                              warped rotors
                              tie rod ends
                              tie rods
                              LCA ball joint
                              torn CV axle boots--grit getting in, grease out, causing bearing wear

Maybe other stuff I didn't think about.
                              I do have a ripped boot I have to attend to but everything else is tight

Festiver
                              93 L find/5 speed
                              BP/g15mr swapped
                              Aspire brake swapped

89 festie
                              rustful

93 festie
                              advanced suspension
                              kai/skeeter camber
                              b3t/g15mr

Comment

Working...
                              X