second gear grind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• second gear grind

my car , has a rebuilt trans when I bought it, I've noticed a second gear grind when putting it into gear upshift or downshift , unless i'm REALLY careful and am going 15mph or less, pretty much just leave it in 3rd for slow speed turns, not a problem,, just looking for insight, any thoughts?

got the same problem, seems like par for the course with the trans

Comment

Check your fluid. You do so by pulling the speedo gear it has a build on dip stick. Do not pry on the little tab with the 10mm bolt going threw it. Also dont use the bolt to pull it in when reinstalling. It will break easily.
      If it's full it's probably worn synchronizes
      A flush and fill can sometimes help. Also some have had good luck with syncromesh fluid.
      Last edited by william; 11-12-2016, 04:56 PM.

Comment

I went through this and it appears it may e more related to the shifter and shifter bushings than you might think. Pay special attention to exactly where the shifter is riding now- and watch for changes later. My shifter was in the process of falling apparently- the problem now seems the shifter after a fix on total fall through got the tranny working normally again-

a good change of fluids won't hurt though. I first put in gear oil again and later switched to Pennzoil syncromesh=- lots of gunk came out but it worked much better after that- only trouble is that it's so clear I can't get a reading without looking down into the speedo gear hole

Comment

Working...
        X