Easy upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy upgrades

Hi, i have a '89 Ford Festiva L. Im new to this whole Festiva upgrading thing. Im only 16 and im starting to want to put some money into my Festiva. I was just wondering if there is any easy upgrades, that dont cost too much. I wanna get the most out of my Festiva!

Spray paint pin stripes!
    92 Festiva L - bp & hydro g, advanced coilovers, aspire brake swapped

Comment

Rims and tires will be #1 - get off the 12" tires for a major upgrade.

#2 mod it how you want it. (i like to take the back seats out, make a heater, smoke the headlights...) Make it make you feel good to drive it.

#3 IMO would be suspension (500$ for top of the line) this will make the biggest differenct to the car aside from a motor swap. With a good suspension the festiva is amazing.

#4 aspire or rio brakes (depends on rims that you get. some rio brakes require 14" rims) some might say do brakes as soon as you can.

#5 then do a motor swap.
      1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
      1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
      1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
      19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
      1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

One of the cheapest upgrades I did when I first bought my 4 speed Festy was to install the $10 civic short shifter.
        1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
        1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
        2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

Comment

Lots of upgrade options are possible at varying cost. What upgrade category are you most interested in? Automobile upgrades generally fall into these four categories: Safety, Performance, Comfort, and Appearance. Some upgrades fall into multiple categories: for example rust can be both a safety and an appearance issue depending on where it is located.
          Here is a link to a site that show some general ideas. Not sure if it is meant to be, but the car in the header page looks a lot like a Festiva.
          You might be tempted to go for the appearance upgrades first, but if you have any safety issues, put those at the top of the list.
          If you have to pay someone else for labor, that is usually your highest cost when upgrading a Festiva, so the first thing to invest in is a shop manual and and a vacuum and electrical trouble shooting manual. They will save you a ton of money. Then if there is a part you need, first ask if someone has a good one they will send to your for just the shipping cost.
          http://lifehacker.com/how-to-bring-y...-few-493086102

Comment

Okay, thanks for the suggestions. But im still wondering if there's and thing i should "tune up". Should i clean it or tighten anything? Also my Festy is an automatic.... If that helps you guys at all.
            Last edited by Nsw; 11-16-2016, 12:58 PM.

Comment

You should do a full check over the car. Fix anything that needs attention before you go changing stuff that doesnt matter.

A ... mod doesnt matter if your car dies on the side of the road! Make sure its all good then mod it.
              1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
              1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
              1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Check out This Thread for some Motivation
                "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                sigpic
                "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

You guys are awesome! I'll see what i can find after i get home from school. Also gotta make sure me doing stuff to my festy doesn't upset my dad lol

Comment

1. Make sure your spark plugs and wires are in good condition.
                    2. Replace the fusable links with real fuses (located on drivers side shock tower in the engine bay, behind battery) and clean the connections.
                    3. Look over the engine bay for loose, broken or corroded wires and fix them properly with solder and heat shrink (no wire nuts...ever).
                    4. Keep an eye on your oil often, keep fresh clean oil in your engine. Don't overfill the engine.
                    5. Buy a set of original factory service manuals off eBay and study them as much as you can. These will help you not only learn about your car, they will give you a good foundation for how to repair everything you break for the rest of your life. Trust me, a lot of the procedures that are outlined in factory service manuals have helped me in so many situations. Learning to go to the book for answers will help you to be the guy we all ask for advice when we get stumped.
                    Last edited by Advancedynamix; 11-16-2016, 01:17 PM.
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I also got my festiva when i was 16 or 17, had it over 9 years now and the goal was to make it run as cheap as possible except for the last 2 years or so.
                      Cheap mods: a nice sterio with a usb, aux and bluetooth input with handsfree calling. Well under $100 and its awesome.
                      I just put up with it for 9 years but these cars get real hot inside in the summer. Try doing your own window tint, but pay someone to do the back window.
                      Maintinance:
                      Brakes are something to look at. The first day i had mine i took the front brakes off and the pads looked fine so i was going to stick them back on. My dad saw them and took a screwdriver and gave them a light whack and they cracked and chipped.they were super old. I have driven the car well over 200,000km and not worn out front or rear pads but have replaced them because of age. Do that and whats also very important is to buy some brake caliper grease and grease the caliper slider bushings and pins. Make sure the boots are in good shape as well. If the boots crack and let water in and/or those pins stick your brakes will not work properly. I think the stock brakes work very well when properly maintained. Then the rear brakes- the adjustment mechanism likes to stick/sieze or get stiff, so take it out and lubricate all the pivot points. Probably get new shoes too, their cheap. While the drum is off wipe out the old grease from the bearings and stuff new grease in there.when putting the drum back on its important to tighten it properly. Too loose and it will wear your tires bad, too tight and it will wreck your bearings and spindle.i have done both. Tighten the nut real tight, then back off 1/8 turn works for me. Wheel should spin freely but have some resistance still.
                      Flushing the brake fluid is also a good idea, really old brake dfluid doesnt work well and rusts the lines from the inside.

Ill add more later, but you picked a great first car! These cars are super cheap to maintain, easy to work on and very fun to drive.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by ryanprins13; 11-16-2016, 02:44 PM.

Comment

What Ryan said about brakes is Super Important Safety is #1 and you will learn a lot while doing the work. If you want some easy cheap things to do that will change the looks there are many seat upgrades, Interior & Exterior lighting upgrades, Wheels upgrades etc... Take some time to browse what everyone else has done on the forum and decide what you want to do but Brakes and Tires to keep you safe if the most important.
                        "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                        sigpic
                        "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                        "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                        "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                        "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Awesome, thanks guy. My dad works on the car, he loves it almost as much as i do. He replaced the brakes when we got. He changes the oil and did most of the maintenance on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nsw View Post
                            Awesome, thanks guy. My dad works on the car, he loves it almost as much as i do. He replaced the brakes when we got. He changes the oil and did most of the maintenance on it.
                            Dont let/make your pops have all the fun. Get in there with him learn from him and enjoy the time together.
                            1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I never really was too much into cars and stuff, but lately ive been more it them. Ive been talking to him and he's been teaching me more lately. Dont worry he wont be doing all of the stuff any more lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X