Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance

Whats the best way to squeeze performance out of a stock '89 L automatic?

Manual transmission swap.

Looking for speed/ quickness, handling or fuel milage performance?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Mostly acceleration and speed. ive got the handling down w/ new brakes and other new parts.

Comment

Advance the ignition timing to 6* btdc.

Do a compression test, best to know what shape the engine is in first before doing anything else.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by Nsw View Post
          Mostly acceleration and speed. ive got the handling down w/ new brakes and other new parts.
          Ok, transmission swap for sure. If you dont care a lot about gas milage get smaller tires. 165/50 r14 is only 3% smaller but should be a noticable difference. Im sure you can get smaller tires if you want to. Other than correctly maintaining the engine there isnt much thats worth the effort to make it faster. A B6 swap is very easy, if you drive it easy it gets the same gas milage as the b3 i hear. Something like a 30% increase in power which is huge. I got to drive a festiva with a b6 for a few minutes once. It was amazing

Loud exhaust makes it feel faster.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
            Ok, transmission swap for sure. If you dont care a lot about gas milage get smaller tires. 165/50 r14 is only 3% smaller but should be a noticable difference. Im sure you can get smaller tires if you want to. Other than correctly maintaining the engine there isnt much thats worth the effort to make it faster. A B6 swap is very easy, if you drive it easy it gets the same gas milage as the b3 i hear. Something like a 30% increase in power which is huge. I got to drive a festiva with a b6 for a few minutes once. It was amazing

Loud exhaust makes it feel faster.

Switching to a 14" wheel usually means they are wider and a little heavier which would hurt your acceleration slightly but the shorter profile tires improves the feeling of the Car 100%. From what I remember you are running a Fuel Injected car so you could drill large holes into the bottom of your Air Box for the slightest performance gain but it sounds a lot better. If you haven't done it yet I would change out the Fuel Filter to make sure it isn't clogged up. If you replace the entire exhaust system with a slightly larger pipe you can gain a little power. From what I have read, the biggest gain that you can make without swapping the motor is by Porting and Polishing the Head but that takes a lot of patience, knowledge and skill or a lot of money you are just willing to throw away.

Most people just swap a bigger B series engine into it. Most of the swaps are pretty simple and don't cost much money if you find a deal. It might be worth it just to save up a couple hundred dollars until a donor car comes along on Craigslist. I personally just bought a 91 Capri XR2 with a B6T for $400.
            "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
            sigpic
            "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
            "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
            "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
            "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
            https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Ya a manual transmission swap is a night and day diffrence for preformance, even with the stock engine
              Last edited by Sleeper; 11-18-2016, 07:25 AM.
              Previous owner of 8 festivas... looking for number 9

Adam

Comment

Working...
              X