Skippy is on his way out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skippy is on his way out...

Swapped plugs and while I was in there, I decided to pull a compression test... Have been noting a lack of torque across the rpm band and a dip in mpg.

Cyl 1: 155
    Cyl 2: 60 (maybe)
    Cyl 3: 90
    Cyl 4: 90

I was worried about the cam lobes so I pulled the VC and all is good there.
    It has a fresh head with valve job and P&P.
    Reused the old rings when he was apart as the lands just needed cleaned and the tention was adequate.

But it's the rings...

Now I'm at a crossroads: rebuild the bottom end or swap, and if swap, which swap? I have nearly every B series engine that was brought to the US.

To be honest, I do like the idea of a balls out b3 (which this engine used to be... Could chirp 3rd), but I also wouldn't mind a significant increase in torque, aka BP.

So I ask this, is there a source for NOS rings? If not, then a swap is more likely. Though I think I need to speak with dickmeyer and or dragon healer to see if an improvement can be made with what's there.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

A Bad Ass B3 does sound cool...
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Rock Auto has stock rings still.

But you know you want a B8 with ITBs!
      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
        A Bad Ass B3 does sound cool...
        Have one. It is.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
          Rock Auto has stock rings still.

But you know you want a B8 with ITBs!
          Yes,.... Yes I do
          Now I need to find one.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Hmm if you could fit bp with itbs you could go for maruha this is the first but of info I've actually seen about your car though lol how much hp did your b3 run

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
            Festiver
            93 L find/5 speed
            BP/g15mr swapped
            Aspire brake swapped
            Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
            stripped and sold due to rust

89 festie
            rustful
            maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

93 festie
            advanced suspension
            kai/skeeter camber
            b3t/g15mr

I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

Comment

I love my B6-ME. I wish I'd had the money at the time to get a custom manifold so it didn't need firewall bashing, or I'd just moved everything forward some, but I love the engine.

Gets the same MPG as stock did, and it feels sooooooo much nicer. Car guys pop the hood, are thoroughly unimpressed, and then ALWAYS get this huge grin when they drive it. Even an old RWD V8 drag racer said, "Loooooord!" uncontrollably the first time he pinned 1st gear from a roll.

It's an all around awesome swap IMHO.
              Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
              91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

B6D's are popular now since Charlie figured out they run fine on stock electronics.
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Or build something that looks like a b3 but has all the benefits of the DOHC engine (sans the extra valves and port velocity). Dragonhealer is the guru on this topic. You probably have all the bits n pieces already.

You're wise to demand factory rings BTW. There is no equal.
                  Last edited by Advancedynamix; 11-23-2016, 01:14 PM.
                  Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Fourgreen sells rings. How do you find out who makes the parts they sell on that site?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                      B6D's are popular now since Charlie figured out they run fine on stock electronics.
                      I can't claim that. Dragonhealer stumbled upon that by accident when his B3 let go and all he had was a core Miata long block. I just supplied the manifolds and valve cover. The rest was his best effort to get his Trashwagon on the road again.
                      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Festiver View Post
                        Hmm if you could fit bp with itbs you could go for maruha this is the first but of info I've actually seen about your car though lol how much hp did your b3 run

Never had it dynoed... though there a few hills around here that would normally require 3rd and before things went south, I could do them in 5th. There's a head build and mod thread here about it somewhere.

Btw, what is maruha?

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                          Never had it dynoed... though there a few hills around here that would normally require 3rd and before things went south, I could do them in 5th. There's a head build and mod thread here about it somewhere.

Btw, what is maruha?
                          Thats pretty awesome and High end performance company for miatas they make a bp itb kit

Festiver
                          93 L find/5 speed
                          BP/g15mr swapped
                          Aspire brake swapped
                          Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
                          stripped and sold due to rust

89 festie
                          rustful
                          maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

93 festie
                          advanced suspension
                          kai/skeeter camber
                          b3t/g15mr

I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

Comment

head build?!?

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post

Btw, what is maruha?

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                              I love my B6-ME. I wish I'd had the money at the time to get a custom manifold so it didn't need firewall bashing, or I'd just moved everything forward some, but I love the engine.

Gets the same MPG as stock did, and it feels sooooooo much nicer. Car guys pop the hood, are thoroughly unimpressed, and then ALWAYS get this huge grin when they drive it. Even an old RWD V8 drag racer said, "Loooooord!" uncontrollably the first time he pinned 1st gear from a roll.

It's an all around awesome swap IMHO.
                              Love my B6-ME swap as well. Mine too rubs the firewall when I accelerate in 1st gear. I plan on upgrading the suspension soon and moving the engine forward at that time. Lots of power that bolts right in place of the B3. Mine gets around 43MPG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
                              “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Working...
                              X