• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gaskets

my valve cover is leaking like a sieve
    which should I buy,, complete gasket kit.. rock auto/ ebay
    is there a favorite?

I picked up mine from rockauto, and at less than $2 a piece, I picked up several for the future.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Whatever is cheapest but comes with the gommets is what i use. I like felpro gaskets in general. Look for wholesaler clearout stuff on rockauto.
      What do you mean by complete gasket kit?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

like a reseal distributor / time seal/ oil pan gasket kit

thanks for the knowledge guys
        john from alabama

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
        Whatever is cheapest but comes with the gommets is what i use. I like felpro gaskets in general. Look for wholesaler clearout stuff on rockauto.
        What do you mean by complete gasket kit?

Comment

Originally posted by errjam View Post
          like a reseal distributor / time seal/ oil pan gasket kit

thanks for the knowledge guys
          john from alabama
          Nah, just get the Fel-Pro VC gasket with grommets. You can buy a distributor o-ring separately, as well as the cam seal. This will cover the majority of messy oil leaks.

Most people don't do the disty o-ring very often or at all. It's cheap, easy to do and ought to be done more often than it normally is. Maybe every 50K miles/major tuneup? VC gaskets are more like 1-2 years/10-20K miles, something like that.

When you do the o-ring, mark the position of the distributor relative to the head; then when you reinstall it, you keep the ignition timing the same. Also when you pull the disty, notice the position of the key on the disty and the slot on the cam, to help with reinstalling. The disty only installs one way, not two.
          Last edited by TominMO; 11-24-2016, 11:16 PM.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

The o ring for the dizzy is 36mm in case you can't come across one from the interwebs
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Here's some info on the disty o-ring, from an old post of mine. So one clue to getting the right one would be part #s ending in 72222.

Here are some part #s for it:
              Carquest: GSK 72222
              NAPA: 727-2619-72222
              They cost between $1 -$2 at both locations, and are pretty easy to replace.
              1. Pull disty cap
              2. Note direction rotor is pointing because the disty will have to go back on the head with the rotor in the same position
              3. Undo two 12mm bolts holding disty
              4. Pull disty, clean it up, remove old hard gasket and stick the new one on
              5. Smear a little oil on the o-ring to help the disty slip into the head easier
              6. Installation, as they say, is the reverse of removal.

Edit:
              Rock Auto lists it as a "distributor mounting gasket, o-ring type". It does fit the Festiva. I had to look it up under 1988 Mazda 323/ignition/Distributor Mounting Gasket. Fel-Pro part #35608. Clicking on the part # confirmed that it works for Festys, Aspires, a bunch of Mazdas, and tons of other cars too. It'll set you back a whole $0.29. Kwikest way to find it is to do a part # search when you first get to the Rock Auto website.
              Last edited by TominMO; 11-25-2016, 12:31 AM.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

thanks!!

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                Here's some info on the disty o-ring, from an old post of mine. So one clue to getting the right one would be part #s ending in 72222.

Here are some part #s for it:
                Carquest: GSK 72222
                NAPA: 727-2619-72222
                They cost between $1 -$2 at both locations, and are pretty easy to replace.
                1. Pull disty cap
                2. Note direction rotor is pointing because the disty will have to go back on the head with the rotor in the same position
                3. Undo two 12mm bolts holding disty
                4. Pull disty, clean it up, remove old hard gasket and stick the new one on
                5. Smear a little oil on the o-ring to help the disty slip into the head easier
                6. Installation, as they say, is the reverse of removal.

Edit:
                Rock Auto lists it as a "distributor mounting gasket, o-ring type". It does fit the Festiva. I had to look it up under 1988 Mazda 323/ignition/Distributor Mounting Gasket. Fel-Pro part #35608. Clicking on the part # confirmed that it works for Festys, Aspires, a bunch of Mazdas, and tons of other cars too. It'll set you back a whole $0.29. Kwikest way to find it is to do a part # search when you first get to the Rock Auto website.

Comment

do I need to use any RTV sealant on the VC when I do the gasket ??
                  thanks

Comment

Originally posted by errjam View Post
                    do I need to use any RTV sealant on the VC when I do the gasket ??
                    thanks
                    I did my first time and it leaked. Didnt the second time and it doesnt leak. I believe your not supposed to.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                      I did my first time and it leaked. Didnt the second time and it doesnt leak. I believe your not supposed to.
                      I had the same experience. I no longer use sealant.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                        I had the same experience. I no longer use sealant.
                        Ditto on that. Now I just use a mini 1/4 socket driver and give the bolts 180 degrees more turn once they become snug. Did that on Trixie and Rosie and no leaks so far.
                        Last edited by 1990new; 11-30-2016, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X