What is this fancy front towing gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this fancy front towing gear?

An 89 LX I just bought yesterday came with some sort of front towing device -- see photo. As can be see in the additional wheel well photo, it's securely attached to the same threaded holes where the normal front tie-down brackets were attached.

It would seem that this must have been made specifically for Festies.

What attaches to this if I wanted to use it (on this or any Festy) for towing? Is the attach interface "standard?"

See photos.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 12-04-2016, 03:07 PM.
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Almost certainly it was set up to be towed behind a motor home. You will need something like this.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I don't see exactly how that would fit -- I need something that attaches with one lateral bolt on each side -- but I get the general idea.

I guess you don't try to turn sharp corners when towing like this, since the vehicle being towed isn't steering.
      88L black, dailydriver
      4 88/89 disassembled
      91L green
      91GL aqua pwrsteer
      92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

I remember when pig men towed things with great big motorhomes, goodness greasyous

Dig the plate gentlemen that I don't have to be, and that is the truth disabled Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFestivaGuy View Post
          I don't see exactly how that would fit -- I need something that attaches with one lateral bolt on each side -- but I get the general idea.

I guess you don't try to turn sharp corners when towing like this, since the vehicle being towed isn't steering.
          I tow an Aspire almost daily for work.You just turn the ignition key just far enough to unlock the column.Front wheels must be able to turn to follow the vehicle its being towed by.That bracket looks like it is meant to be used with either a Roadmaster or Blue Ox folding tow bar.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFestivaGuy View Post

I think that one I showed you would work. If you zoom in on the pic and then move over to the attaching end, you can see that it is set up for different applications. You would need to take the end piece off to use that lateral bolt.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

We have a Harbor Freight right here in town. I'll stop in there sometime I'm driving the "new" LX.
              88L black, dailydriver
              4 88/89 disassembled
              91L green
              91GL aqua pwrsteer
              92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Geez, i thought it was a mount for a snowplow :tm:

Comment

Reminds me of some years ago when I had occasion to pass through Amsterdam during a particularly cold holiday season. The canals were all frozen, and snowplow-equipped VW bugs were clearing freshly-fallen snow off the ice so people could ice skate on them.
                  88L black, dailydriver
                  4 88/89 disassembled
                  91L green
                  91GL aqua pwrsteer
                  92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Working...
                  X