Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a 2in resonator work on 1.5in pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a 2in resonator work on 1.5in pipe?

Looking to make my exhaust quieter. for a stock b3 with stock exhaust and muffler. i want to add a resonater. i have one on a civic parts car thats 2in diameter inlet and outlet. if i weld that into my exhaust will it affect the performance at all going from 1.5in to 2in and back to 1.5? and will it muffle the sound much since its bigger than the rest of the pipe? Or is it worth the cost to go buy a 1.5in resonator somewhere instead of using the free one i have? thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I honestly dont think it will cause any harm doing that. Its when you open up the exhaust to like 3 inch on a tiny b3 that your in trouble. Ive seen people do that (full face palm) but i think you should be fine. Lets see what the others on here say. I might have missed somthing.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Should be good: going larger allows the pulse to cool and slow, lowering the resonant tone. Which is what a resonator does in the first place, now just at a lower freq, which actually works in our favor since the b3 has an inherently low resonance.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Cool, thanks guys!

Comment

You won't have any trouble as the cat sets the exhaust system "tuned lengh" let us know how the tone is affected!
          No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
            You won't have any trouble as the cat sets the exhaust system "tuned lengh" let us know how the tone is affected!
            X2

Comment

the 1.3 DOHC GTX/A has a factory resonator and sounds real good

Comment

I got it on. My parts car civic was right on the ground (no tires) because i figured i would never need anything from underneath and it was about 1am when i dropped it there 5 years ago. Took quite a while to get it jacked up and hacksaw the resonater off. Turns out it was 1.5in from the engine to the muffler and just 2in for the 5inches sticking out of the muffler. Jokers... anyway, got some couplers and welded it on. Its pretty big around unfortunatly. I did this and sound deadner at the same time but its way, way quieter! Just drove it out of the shop to park it, didnt rev it up much or go for a drive. Ill try to remember to update this when i do that.

Last edited by ryanprins13; 01-02-2017, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by reyestuninggarag View Post
                  I honestly dont think it will cause any harm doing that. Its when you open up the exhaust to like 3 inch on a tiny b3 that your in trouble. Ive seen people do that (full face palm) but i think you should be fine. Lets see what the others on here say. I might have missed somthing.

Well I'm guilty here lol it's silly but man it sounded so good deep aggressive everyone who came up to my car complimented how well it sounded and we're very surprised those sounds came from a tiny low HP engine

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                  Festiver
                  93 L find/5 speed
                  BP/g15mr swapped
                  Aspire brake swapped
                  Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
                  stripped and sold due to rust

89 festie
                  rustful
                  maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

93 festie
                  advanced suspension
                  kai/skeeter camber
                  b3t/g15mr

I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

Comment

Nice!