budget rear suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• budget rear suspension

So I developed a crazy loud thump on bumps on the driver rear corner, so I knew it was time to pull the back wheel. My bearing has been on the way out for some time so I though maybe it just fell apart completely because I could move the wheel in and out from top to bottom by hand and it was growling. While I was down there I put my hand on the stut and I could move it with ease laterally. I sappose the thing deserves some new struts. Of course I will do the bearing while I'm down there.

Yes I have read about the custom suspension you can make using lots of different pieces, but I'm not looking to do all that at this point just a cheap quick fix to get back on the road.

If found the 2 struts that every website has is the kyb g series and Monroe. Both are with in $5 dollars or so ($32-$35 each).
    Just looking to see if there are any other bolt on solutions and what other would suggest between these to if no other options are better.

is there a complete strut and spring/ coilover that is readily available?

I was planning on just keeping the springs as they are usually good for life from my experience. Also I have not taking the interior apart but am I going to need new tops to the strut?

Also is a spring compressor necessary or should I just be able to man handle this thing back in the tower?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by BustaBust; 12-23-2016, 04:01 PM.

The rears mount through the body, the rubbers will probably be fine, I prefer the KYB's myself.
    If your car is rusty, soak the lower mounting bolt in release agent, use gentle impact to get those loose.
    no compressor necessary, you should get a manual to help guide you through repairs, Haynes etc.
    Good Luck!
    No car too fast !

Comment

KYBs are budget, but Bilsteins would be slightly more expensive yet last longer (from my experience) :woc:

Comment

Working...
      X