Bearing job gone wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearing job gone wrong

So I just did new rear struts on the back of the festivus and while I was back there I decided to repack/replace the bearings. Driver side went swimmingly, someone must have replaced the bearings recently before I purchased the car as everything was like new, just not torqued down well. I repacked the outer and left the inner alone and put back together. Struts went in without a hitch very easy on this car, didn't even need spring compressors.

Went on to the passenger side, handled the strut first and was moving smoothly. At this point its about 11 pm and I'm getting tired. Having read a write up on the job I did learn that this side was reverse threaded on the passenger side. My brain did not register this though. When you've been taking bolts off in the same direction your whole life it just instinct. After taking the v out of the castle nut (looks like they are calling it a spindle nut on rock auto) it was time to remove it. I slapped the impact on it and start hammering. met with some resistance of course, my brain thinks "this thing must have been on here a while". So I continue to tighten it with the impact. to the point where the broke it loose but it wasn't coming off. Then it clicks, I forgot about the reverse thread. I put the impact the other way and it pops right off.

So now I'm left with with a mess to clean up. The nut it toast of course. Further more the spindle's threads are pretty much sheered off the front half. I doubt very much even with a new nut that its going to thread on and even if it did I would be scared that there's not enough left to hold the wheel on securely. When I get home I might post a pic to get your opinions.

Here is where I need help. My spindle search is not yielding any results, especially for the reverse threaded passenger side I need. Does anyone have one they would be willing to part with? I'm in south NJ. Or have a place I could order new?

I also need to know what others of used for getting the inner bearing out of the drum assembly, I do not have a slide hammer puller that my manual suggests so any help is appreciated.

It does sound like you will need a new(another) spindle. As far as getting the old races out, most drums have have 4 grooves cut inside so that most any punch can be used to carefully drive them out, working your way around equally, and does not actually require a lot of force. The last set of drums I bought did not have the grooves and I chose to use others instead, for that reason. I THINK the race would extend far enough in to get a small punch tip, or edge of a screwdriver, on it, but much more care would need to be taken as you tap it out to make sure you don't gouge the wall.
    I sympathize as to how "backwards" it seems when dealing with reverse threads. I always start with that one for that very reason.
    And I think I remember others saying that the reverse thread spindle would not absolutely be required (although definitely preferred) for that side, but I'm sure someone will correct me if that isn't the case.
    "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
    "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
    "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
    "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
    "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
    "Wenona"-89L parts car
    "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Yeah after doing some research there is only one used spindle on ebay for $179 which Is about half of what I paid for the whole car. safe to say this mistake is infuriating as I really didn't even need to take the hub apart in the first place I'm just anal and I was already working in the area. IF anyone has one to part with or know where I could get one new at a reasonable price let me know.

For the bearing I'm actually considering getting a whole new hub as they are only like 10 bucks and I don't need any more aggravation with this project, the car has been off the road over a week as it is and looks like it will be another one by the time I source this spindle and have time to install it. I already ordered a new nut to see how much I can thread on the spindle I have left.

Comment

Use a small 3/4 file to rework the threads before forcing on the new nut.

Comment

Yeah, that's pretty expensive. Maybe someone here has something more reasonable. The only thing I have left is one with an inner race welded in place from seizure and another that looked a bit discolored, as if it had overheated at some point.
          Have you checked car-part.com for something from salvage?
          I just looked and there were many. $100 tops, most half that. Don't forget to put the dash in "car-part"
          Last edited by jawja jim; 12-30-2016, 12:38 PM.
          "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
          "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
          "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
          "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
          "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
          "Wenona"-89L parts car
          "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

I use an old hacksaw blade to clean out damaged threads. I break the old blade into smaller pieces and often tape up one end for easier holding.. You could give that a try before committing to a replacement.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

The first and biggest mistake was using an impact gun on anything that touches bearings. Never never never!

On a more positive note: you can use a driver side spindle... Though I recommend getting the aspire castle nut and drilling a hole for a cotter pin.
              Last edited by FestYboy; 12-30-2016, 07:41 PM.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                The first and biggest mistake was using an impact gun on anything that touches bearings. Never never never!
                I just did the rear bearings on my car. If I remember correctly that nut should only have been torqued to 20 foot pounds, which ain't a whole lot. Good luck with your repair, and sorry it's not going well so far.
                Last edited by Timothy; 12-30-2016, 07:59 PM.
                1992 Ford Festiva 1.3 L 4-cylinder

Comment

They make what are called thread files that are for fixing threads I have a set of metric and standard the work great try msc.com

Comment

Thanks for the info, I know I shouldn't have used the impact but it was siting right there with my impact sockets from taking of the bottom bolt of the strut and it was late so I couldn't help myself. Never again. I'm waiting for the spindle not to come in and will give an update if the spindle is a total loss, I cleaned it up the best I could.i missing about a 1/4-1/2 in of treads but the nut that goes on is only half threaded anyway so I'm holding out hope.

Comment

If you end up needing a spindle I know there was someone parting out 6+ festivas in western PA, if the Craigslist ad isn't still up I have his phone number I know he had a bunch of parts. Good luck!

Comment

If all else fails, can't he just do an Aspire Rear Beam swap? If you can pull one from a Junk yard on a discount day it would probably be less than the spindle mentioned on Ebay.
                        "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                        sigpic
                        "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                        "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                        "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                        "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

^ true but then it would make more sense to do the entire swap front and rear.
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Update:

So I think its time to give up on my poor abused spindle. I can't get it to thread and don't want to waste any more time or money ordering a reverse threaded tap/die. Does anyone have a spindle I can purchase, don't care witch side, it seems that either will work. I'm located in vineland nj 08361 and could drive within reason or shipped most likely. text for fastest response: 609 774 2390. Thanks

Comment

If you use a right hand thread spindle, make sure it's drilled for a cotter pin.
                              91GL BP/F3A with boost
                              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Working...
                              X