The Festiva as a travel vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
    That is good to know, I replaced mine with a universal hose but I was also concerned about the harsh curve kinking but It hasn't given me any problems yet.
    Dragonhealer got the that number. I thi k he knows more mazda part numbers than the guys behind the counter at the dealer

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
      Bypass hose.
      Mazda part #

Its a longer hose but the right size and bend. You cut out what you need.
      Thanks. Just ordered one. I was going to use a piece of universal fuel hose, but the little OCD voice in my head said otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Shin Hayata View Post
        Thanks. Just ordered one. I was going to use a piece of universal fuel hose, but the little OCD voice in my head said otherwise.
        Some McParts stores will let you go look at their pre-formed heater hoses and pick out one with the right diameter and bend; cut to fit.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thanks, Tom.
          The bypass hose that I need is no larger than fuel line, which the locals sell by the foot from a bulk roll. I wouldn't feel comfortable expecting it to hold the ~120 degree bend that I need for my particular repair. So I spent a couple extra $$ for peace of mind.

The heater hoses that the locals have in stock have considerably larger diameters. Many are pre-shaped and pre-labeled, and sold for discrete applications.

Comment

If you happen to be ordering anything from Fourgreen, they are very cheap. I got 5 with my last order just because they were so cheap, IIRC $3 or so.
            "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
            "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
            "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
            "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
            "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
            "Wenona"-89L parts car
            "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Originally posted by jawja jim View Post
              If you happen to be ordering anything from Fourgreen, they are very cheap. I got 5 with my last order just because they were so cheap, IIRC $3 or so.
              How many do you have left? Wanna sell one?
              "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
              sigpic
              "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
              "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
              "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
              "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
              https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by jawja jim View Post
                I created a sample order on their site. I'm not sure if I was doing something incorrectly, but FG's shipping charges were...ridiculous. I've purchased a fair number of motorcycle accessories from overseas sellers, so I have some familiarity with proportionate shipping costs.

For the moment, I'll shop domestically.

Comment

The last time I ordered mostly rubber and plastic stuff so it wasn't too heavy. Over 40 items and shipping was only $45. And some of those items are hard to find,l like sway bar to body bushings for $3 and window channels for about $9. I've been happy with their shipping costs on 2 orders. Usually about $1.50/ part. Haven't ordered large, or heavy stuff.
                  "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
                  "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
                  "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
                  "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
                  "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
                  "Wenona"-89L parts car
                  "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

I did a month long, 9,000 mile road trip all across the US this past September and I spent 90% of my nights sleeping in the Festiva

First thing I did was add a rooftop Sears X-Cargo box which I found on the side of the road for free. I packed full of tools and spare parts and other road-trip essentials (fortunately most of which I didn't end up needing--not a single breakdown.)

I used Plastidip to temporarily cover the side windows for additional privacy. I had "window socks" for the side windows and used traditional foldable window shades for the front and back. Charlie once said, "A Festiva is the best tent you can buy" and I wholeheartedly agree. My sleeping surface was one half folded down LX seat and one half modified camping cot. I removed the rear seat for cargo reasons but this simple solution allowed me to convert from bed to additional seat in less than a minute if I had to take on a passenger. I could lie flat (I'm 5'11") and really found it quite comfortable. A thicker sleeping mat would have made it a bit better.

In the back I had my chest of drawers, my drone, food storage, cooler, and various other small items.

I had plenty of room to prepare and eat meals

I mostly stayed in "dispersed camping areas" these are National Forest roads that are of main highways and away from recreational areas where you can park and camp for free, with no permit as long as you leave no trace--pretty easy to do with car camping!

As fate would have it I ran into another guy living out of a Festiva while driving the Pacific Coast Highway. His storage and sleeping solutions were very different but very clever. He had a solar panel on the roof which ran to an accessory battery in the back and he removed all passenger seats and made a custom wood floor. Pretty neat stuff!

Like I said I had no breakdowns, and I managed to aveage about 32.5 MPG the whole trip (which isn't bad considering the aerodynamic disadvantage). The best part of camping out of your Festiva is your home is where you park it which means you can have some of the best views you can imagine, right out your back door
                    Last edited by ThisVelologist; 01-23-2017, 03:39 PM.
                    Ben Rogers, Admin of the
                    Facebook Group

'93 Festiva GL "Frito" (Travelled in 36 US States & 4 Canadian Provinces)

'91 Festiva L "Barry Bluejeans"
                    '95 Dickmeyer Aspire SE "Dortmund" (SOLD to jbibb1)
                    '91 Festiva L "Fermina" (SOLD to Hulspowered)
                    '93 Festiva L "Tallsmallcar" (SOLD to Stretch and Skeeters_Keeper)

Watch "It's a Festiva", my short film!

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Comment

That looks like a GREAT trip! Cool.

I bought my first 88 Festiva back in Southern California at Sunset Ford in 1997- &900 tax and license, with 175K on it. The salesman remarked in the test drive that it was a "little commuter car" It had high miles but thought I'd take the chance because I figured yes, it had a lot of L.A. freeway miles and looked very good otherwise.

So in the early years, while I was still in L.A and my mother was living I must have taken it about three times to Indiana and back- a 2200 mile round trip that usually took 3 1/2 days or so. I remarked to the Japanese man who ran the shell station at Franklin and Cahuenga in Hollywood that I was headed for Indianapolis, and he looked at me in disbelief and said "in THAT?", but Yes, in fact several times, and the car ran flawlessly, usually using a quart and half of oil the whole way, which I didn't think bad for a car with about 200K on the clock then. The cars have always been very reliable and I'm still driving the Aspire I got in 2003, with 121 K and minimal maintenance.

The 91 currently has a starting problem although I've put in a new fuel pump and relay, so I might have to call in help, and I'm thinking about selling it. Really cant tinker much at 63 getting painful and not how I want to spend my hours.
                      Last edited by harpon; 01-23-2017, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisVelologist View Post
                        I did a month long, 9,000 mile road trip all across the US this past September and I spent 90% of my nights sleeping in the Festiva
                        VERY cool! this post alone should win you Festiva of the Month! :-)
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

That is an Awesome Photo!
                          "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                          sigpic
                          "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                          "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                          "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                          "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                          https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by ThisVelologist View Post

Wow.

You win. And I think the chest of drawers is a great idea. :thumbs_up:

Comment

Working...
                            X