Gambler 500 Rally Racecar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gambler 500 Rally Racecar

Anyone ever heard of the gambler 500 rally?

Y'all gonna hate me for this but I wanna take my festiva on that. I love the car, I converted it to a camper and drove it across the country living out of it, alas it is on its last leg and I would like it to go out with a bang. Runs and drives but the exhaust is rusted out along with the whole car being in the MI salt belt, oil in the coolant, large dent from accident but still drives true, already mostly stripped interior, sketchy brakes. I have access to a mill, lathe, tig welder, and loads of other fab tools. I like to make as many parts as I can for it to practice my skills for when I build another car. I've done lots of performance exhausts, parts, and custom frames for mopeds and motorcycles but never too much with cars so input is appreciated.

What I have planned and possible mods

- Fix the brakes or possible aspire swap if my buddy's decides to get rid of his thats been sitting for too long

- Reinforce the rear swing arm and make a brace for the front suspension mounts. I saw a really cool thread for a bolt on version of this some rad dude made, been searching for awhile but can't find the thread.

- Figure out the widest tires I can for the front rims, got some 13 inch rims from a geo metro on now with blizzak snow tires. I'm keeping an eye on craigslist for cheapo swappable wider rims and would wait to order wide tires till a couple weeks before the event

- Maybe keep an eye out for a cheap engine to swap, I'm a student though so it may not be in the budget. Got a mechanic friend who wants to copilot and is willing to help swap.

- Fab a skid plate so I don't rip my fuel/brake lines on the bottom or re route them to a safer place

- Got a few extra rims with tires so I was thinking of bringing a full size spare or two. Need to figure out the best place to put a second one if I do, I have a rear rack on mine I made so putting it there would be easy but that would be bad for my weight distribution I think. I want as much weight on the front two wheels and as little in the back, correct me if I'm wrong. If this logic is correct I was thinking of a hood/front bumper mounted tire.

- Make a winch plate and pick up a winch since I've always wanted one since I saw the Jurassic park jeeps as a kid

- Lift kit? How much lift or longer compatible shocks? I know its bad for a vehicle to lift it but whats a relatively safe operating range people have had success with?

- Give it a real sporty paint job with dollar rattle cans since everyone knows it adds minimum 5 hp. I'm thinking a mouse since it'll likely be the smallest vehicle there and the top camper section looks like a cheese wedge so the overnight camping spot would be fun.

Any ideas on cheap mods to make it more worthy for an event like this? It's a little over 2 months away so I gotta get moving.

Here are some links to the car in question

Original forum thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ight=festfalia

Instructables build log http://www.instructables.com/id/Fest...er-Miler-Camp/

Comment

Sounds like number 1 on the list is an engine. Oil in the coolant and vice versa is a death sentence. Usually pretty quick. The Aspire engine and brakes are very simple swaps.Good luck!
      '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
      '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
      '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Well dudes I won and it was one of the most fun weekends of my life.

Comment

Any more details!?!
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Maybe if Arty did Facebook.
            91GL BP/F3A with boost
            13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
              91GL BP/F3A with boost
              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Thanks for the link Brad, I'm an old fart when it comes to social media...
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Congrats on your win! Me and my brother may enter a Festiva next year
                  Ben Rogers, Admin of the
                  Facebook Group

'93 Festiva GL "Frito" (Travelled in 36 US States & 4 Canadian Provinces)

'91 Festiva L "Barry Bluejeans"
                  '95 Dickmeyer Aspire SE "Dortmund" (SOLD to jbibb1)
                  '91 Festiva L "Fermina" (SOLD to Hulspowered)
                  '93 Festiva L "Tallsmallcar" (SOLD to Stretch and Skeeters_Keeper)

Watch "It's a Festiva", my short film!

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Comment

Working...
                  X