Did you know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you know?

Did you know that if you push your wiper lever forward that it cycles the wipers one time? Who knew?

I know....I took a chance of being Captain Obvious, but....if I can help just one Festy driver enjoy this awesome feature of our cars....then I've done my job.
    Drive On!!
    92 GL, 98k
    77 Chevy shortbed

Originally posted by avitsefdrof View Post
    Did you know that if you push your wiper lever forward that it cycles the wipers one time? Who knew?

I know....I took a chance of being Captain Obvious, but....if I can help just one Festy driver enjoy this awesome feature of our cars....then I've done my job.
    Drive On!!
    Haha, i was on a 2400km road trip 2 weeks after buying my first festiva and much of it was in a light drizzle that was too light for the first wiper speed. I think i pulled it down and pushed it back up every 20 seconds for 3 hours before i accidentally hit it up once and couldnt believe i had never tried that before!

I find the festiva wiper motor annoying. The first speed is too fast for most rain and the second speed is too slow for hard rain.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I like the idea behind this thread! Is the ROE (Rules Of Engagement) going to be "anything" about a Festiva or will it be limited to non-mechanical/non "fixing stuff" posts?
      88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
      88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
      91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
      93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

Hadn't thought about that.....how about.....make it yours!
        92 GL, 98k
        77 Chevy shortbed

Comment

I'll assume that the stalk graphics have worn away... There should be the word "mist" and a small solid triangle pointed "up".
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
            Haha, i was on a 2400km road trip 2 weeks after buying my first festiva and much of it was in a light drizzle that was too light for the first wiper speed. I think i pulled it down and pushed it back up every 20 seconds for 3 hours before i accidentally hit it up once and couldnt believe i had never tried that before!

I find the festiva wiper motor annoying. The first speed is too fast for most rain and the second speed is too slow for hard rain.

I'm no professional, but couldn't you just add a Resistor in line on the low speed side to slow it down? That might fix half of your problem.

Or possibly add a "Dimmer Switch" (Variable Resistor) and that way you can pick the speed!
            "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
            sigpic
            "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
            "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
            "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
            "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
            https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Another possibly obvious thought about the "push for one swipe" feature. If you have the intermittent feature that was stock on 88-89 LX, or have upgraded to the full blown variable speed variety, the "push" feature only works when in the "off" position. So don't try to push it if you're already in any "on" position. It's mechanically blocked at that point and could break something.
              "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
              "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
              "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
              "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
              "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
              "Wenona"-89L parts car
              "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

The only feature on my 88L that doesn't work is the auto-wiper function when pulling the stalk forward to activate the windscreen washer.

It's a minor annoyance to wet the glass first, and then turn the wipers on...followed immediately by pulling the stalk forward again to give the windscreen a good washing.

If there's an easy troubleshooting method, please post it. I'm not really interested in pulling the steering wheel and replacing the entire stalk switch assembly. Again, the non-functioning function is a minor inconvenience.

Comment

Originally posted by Shin Hayata View Post
                  The only feature on my 88L that doesn't work is the auto-wiper function when pulling the stalk forward to activate the windscreen washer.

It's a minor annoyance to wet the glass first, and then turn the wipers on...followed immediately by pulling the stalk forward again to give the windscreen a good washing.

If there's an easy troubleshooting method, please post it. I'm not really interested in pulling the steering wheel and replacing the entire stalk switch assembly. Again, the non-functioning function is a minor inconvenience.
                  Its not broken, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                    Its not broken
                    Page 26 of the OEM Owner's Manual says otherwise:
                    "To clean the windshield, pull the lever toward you and hold it. Washer fluid is sprayed and the wipers are activated until the lever is released."

That's it. The text makes no distinction between trim levels.

Maybe the L didn't have this feature. Just want to know for sure.
                    Last edited by Shin Hayata; 01-26-2017, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Mine has only ever sprayed fluid when you pull the lever.
                      "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                      sigpic
                      "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                      "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                      "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                      "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Mine too with the int stalk you get the spray and wipe . That's the only thing I don't likeep about the intermediate stalk.
                        I like to be able to soak the window the wiper them
                        Last edited by william; 01-26-2017, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Here's a "did you know" maybe for some newbies: you can't get any heat out of the dashboard vents even if you have the temperature selector full hot and the position selector in the "Head/Face" position. Took me a long time to find out that Mazda purposely designed it that way. I hate that "feature".
                          88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
                          88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
                          91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
                          93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

My L did 3 cycles when washing the windshield.
                            "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
                            "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
                            "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
                            "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
                            "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
                            "Wenona"-89L parts car
                            "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Originally posted by Twistiva View Post
                              Here's a "did you know" maybe for some newbies: you can't get any heat out of the dashboard vents even if you have the temperature selector full hot and the position selector in the "Head/Face" position. Took me a long time to find out that Mazda purposely designed it that way. I hate that "feature".
                              I wonder what could be done to correct that annoyance?
                              Changing the shape of the metal push/pull cams on the selector?
                              I have a spare selector and blower assembly.
                              I will burn a few brain cells in February, figuring it out.
                              Maybe it will get cold again and snow, so that I will have a reason to do it?
                              There has been no snow in Toronto all month. Strange.

Comment

Working...
                              X