Vapor Lock? Ford 302 in Bronco with headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vapor Lock? Ford 302 in Bronco with headers

A young fellow who lives in my neighborhood stopped by yesterday and asked my opinion
    on what might be the problem with his restored 73 Bronco. He said that he can't count on it
    to run for more that 30 to 40 minutes without shutting down.
    Has headers and an Edlebrock 4 barrel with electric choke. The 302 has been rebuild and runs great until
    it starts bogging and the shuts down. Takes about 30 minutes to cool down and then will start again.
    I told him that it sounded to me like a classic case of vapor lock.
    Been over 40 year since I've driven anything with one of these engine in it.
    Any of you guys have one now? What are you thoughts?
    Last edited by 1990new; 02-09-2017, 09:33 PM.

Has he replaced the fuel filter since the restoration? Does he have sufficient pressure and flow? That carb should have 4-6 psi from the pump. Since it has electric choke, have him put in a phonelic spacer. This will help reduce heat propagation from the intake to the carb.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
      Has he replaced the fuel filter since the restoration? Does he have sufficient pressure and flow? That carb should have 4-6 psi from the pump. Since it has electric choke, have him put in a phonelic spacer. This will help reduce heat propagation from the intake to the carb.
      Thanks for the reply Artie.. I passed the info along. Also told him to check for a spark the next time it stops on him so an ignition problem can be ruled out if the spark is there.

Comment

If he has a metal line from the fuel pump to the carb, split a larger sized rubber fuel line length-wise & wrap it around the metal line to insulate it. That is a common problem on these as the line runs up right in front of the engine collecting hot air from the radiator.

Cheap fix if it actually is a vapor-lock problem.
        92 Festiva GL Sport 5spd A/C 282k miles
        Power windows, Power door locks, & Heated seats !
        Festiva of the month co-winner June 2017
        Festiva of the month winner June 2018

Comment

Originally posted by cyclonecj View Post
          If he has a metal line from the fuel pump to the carb, split a larger sized rubber fuel line length-wise & wrap it around the metal line to insulate it. That is a common problem on these as the line runs up right in front of the engine collecting hot air from the radiator.

Cheap fix if it actually is a vapor-lock problem.
          It's a rubber hose and there is metal filter just before the rubber hose that continues on to the carburetor. I had already told him that he should do something to raise the hose and filter away from the manifold which it was very close to. He did this and when I spoke to him yesterday and told him about the phonelic spacer, he said he had driven it over 30 minutes and it ran good and had not died on him.

Comment

If it has the original ignition I'd have him check the condenser. I had a failing condenser cause issues like that in my 77, changed it over to electronic ignition and never had any trouble again.

Comment

Originally posted by psmith0803 View Post
              If it has the original ignition I'd have him check the condenser. I had a failing condenser cause issues like that in my 77, changed it over to electronic ignition and never had any trouble again.
              Thanks... I will pass that info along.
              Was at a local car show yesterday and came across this gorgeous 67 Bronco. The owner might consider selling it for $100K
              [IMG] [/IMG]

Comment

Working...
              X