Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought an 88 Lx for 100 bucks need advice on getting started

Just bought this... https://salem.craigslist.org/cto/5991975963.html
    Has factory power mirrors and is manual, carbed. Tried turning over but sounds like there is no spark. What should i check or try to get it running. Body is straight despite the ugly flairs and reversed factory rims.
    93 Ford Festiva L new project-dd big plans
    89 Ford Festiva L (snoopy) long gone
    2002 Chevy Venture warner bros edition (wife's car, child hauler)

LX with standard front seats... Hmm, and those rear rims are way unsafe like that.

First thing is to actually be sure the fuse links are good, then check for spark and do a compression test.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I'd spray a lot of carb cleaner through it and run it in the tank no matter what- Got any starter fluid to get it primed maybe?

I had an 88- it was once running rough because of the wires and couldn't figure it out until I looked at in in pitch black and saw that the little ticks I was hearing were arcs between the wires- get a good coil connection

usually it ran great- I took all the egr components off and plugged any carb fittings and it ran great- but look for vacuum leaks there

Is the timing belt intact?

I'd start by putting in some new plugs and checking for spark then.
      Last edited by harpon; 02-13-2017, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Haven't had time to check much as it was after dark but the fuse links look questionable and I sprayed starting fluid down the carb, but it didnt seem to be firing at all.
        The guy bought it at a tow auction didn't know much about its history but said it had been started at the tow yard. Ill check the timing belt on it in daylight.
        Last edited by nutoofestiva; 02-13-2017, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Unless someone converted this car to automatic, it's not an 88. 89 was the first year for autos. Just FYI.
          "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
          "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
          "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
          "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
          "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
          "Wenona"-89L parts car
          "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

It states in the OP, manual trans, and in pics, shows a manual shifter. So the Craigslist is posted incorrectly, which is typical.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              It states in the OP, manual trans, and in pics, shows a manual shifter. So the Craigslist is posted incorrectly, which is typical.
              Yeah the one I just bought was listed as a 1992 L Plus Automatic... Turned out to be a 1990 L Plus Manual.
              "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
              sigpic
              "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
              "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
              "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
              "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
              https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Its an 88 LX with tilt steering and split fold rear seat...ac-center console and LX seats have been removed. Somebody replaced the five speed with a 4 speed but still has five speed linkage. I sprayed starting fluid and got it to almost fire up twice. Checked and fixed fuse links. Checked timing belt it looks ok. Wondering if maybe its out of gas. I also found some weird click button kill switch under the carpet that I clicked to get it to fire. Any other ideas? Maybe the mechanical fuel pump is toast?
                Last edited by nutoofestiva; 02-13-2017, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Yeah, the pumps go out on them if they sit. At least mine did. You may be able to gravity feed it to test it out.
                  Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

There's no factory kill switch on the carb cars, so you might want to trace the wires.

Comment

Its not a factory kill switch it's some weird push button the po put in. Its been sitting for at least six months maybe more so ill have to try the gravity fuel feed.

Comment

Do the 88's have the Fuel Inertia Switch?

Also if it has been sitting for a long time and has ethanol in it then there is a good chance the fuel separated and or is bad.
                        "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                        sigpic
                        "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                        "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                        "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                        "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

^ no they don't, they also don't have a fuel cut or rev limiter.

Comment

Well i got it running! Had to clean all the mis matched spark plugs but it moved under its own power and i was able to drive it up the street and back with out it dying it had a little bit of old gas in the tank and I put some premium non ethanol to flush it a little. Im going to have to change all fluids and do a tune up. Also the suspension is very scary on this car

Comment

Great- good to hear you got it going. I'm not sure if carb rebuild kits are still out there, but 10 years ago or so I got one for $20 or so, and got most of the parts in it somehow- and I'm no mechanical genius but put some bikes together in my day.
                              Last edited by harpon; 02-15-2017, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X