The smell...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The smell...

I searched here but couldn't find an answer. My newly acquired Festiva smells of what I would describe of Jovan Musk mixed with Marlboro Lights. What's the best method to get the funk out of here? Serious question here. The interior is not torn up at all in this one, it's actually kinda nice all things considered. Has anyone been able to get a bad smelling car neutral or better and how did you do it?
    1999 Toyota 4Runner - daily beater
    1993 Ford Festiva - SOLD
    1986 Toyota Cressida - #stressida hmmmmmm SOLD!!

My son bought a car that had been smoked in. He rented a fumigating (?) machine on a Friday and ran it in the car over an entire weekend. Got rid of most of the smell after renting it twice. You can also take off and wash the vinyl seat covers. Just take them off and wash them several times in the washer and then let them hang dry. If you really, REALLY want to get rid of the smell you can also take the seats out, then take the carpet out (cabin and cargo area) and power-wash the carpet and then let it dry for several days before putting it back in.

Good luck. Our noses are all counting on you. ccasion9:
    Last edited by Twistiva; 02-22-2017, 11:00 PM.
    88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
    88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
    91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
    93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

Baking soda allowed to sit in the carpet and seats for a few days before being vacuumed up. Also clean àll the hard surfaces and vinyl with a diluted heavy degreaser (I like purple power). If the car was smoked in, there will be residue on every surface.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
        Baking soda allowed to sit in the carpet and seats for a few days before being vacuumed up. Also clean àll the hard surfaces and vinyl with a diluted heavy degreaser (I like purple power). If the car was smoked in, there will be residue on every surface.
        purple power is the sh*t, best Degreaser next to oven cleaner but don't use oven cleaner in your car lol
        88 L carb'ed (when up in flames of glory)(deceased) 4spd
        89 L carb'ed (died on the operating table (rust))(deceased) 5spd
        93 gl FI (sold) automagical
        89 lx FI megasquirted "luna" b6D+t (186hp 209ftlbs)
        88 L carbFI megasquirted zombie car

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I'll definitely going to try the baking soda and degreaser until I can afford the time to pull everything out.
          1999 Toyota 4Runner - daily beater
          1993 Ford Festiva - SOLD
          1986 Toyota Cressida - #stressida hmmmmmm SOLD!!

Comment

First check for dead mice.
            Then, ozone tent from a fire restoration company.

Comment

Working...
            X