Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastidipping

1. How do you DIY plastidip?
    2. Are there rattle cans for this? At McParts stores?
    3. How durable is it? How easy to remove?
    4. Any downsides to doing this?
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

1 similar to painting
    2 yes and not sure some have a peelable coating witch is pretty much the same.
    Walmart carries white black and gray around here.
    Home depot or the like should have may colors.
    3 It's very durable it's liquid rubber designed to dp tools into originally. Very easy to remove if you apply enough coats.
    It's kinda pricey I would do it on a new car that sat outside to protect the paint buy for an old one just chea paint job would be better in my opinion.
    I plasti dipped my motorcycle and when I peeled it off over a year later the tank came off in one sheet!

If I was doing a car I would use an airless paint gun and buy it in gallons. The cans would get expensive fast you need like 6 coats to make it peal easy with the cans
    I did my bike with cans ans it took 6 cans .
    Check out dip your car .com there's some really neat colors and matalics out there for plasti dip now days.
    Last edited by william; 02-23-2017, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Thanks william. What kind of prepping is necessary? I'm guessing you don't have to put down a primer like for paint; but maybe a light sanding to smooth out the surface?
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

No sanding at all just a good cleaning that's why it peals off so easy it has nothing to grip to.
        Here you go tom!
        Last edited by william; 02-23-2017, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Tom, you prep like you would for applying a vinyl decal or wrap. Glossy surface free of grease.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
            No sanding at all just a good cleaning that's why it peals off so easy it has nothing to grip to.
            Here you go tom!
            https://youtu.be/7J6rRj98A5s
            Watching the vid now! Thanks again.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I watched them dip Garden Weasels at the powdercoaters.
              The plastic solution was hot and under continuous agitation.
              Last edited by bravekozak; 02-23-2017, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Dipyourcar.com
                1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
                1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
                1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
                19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
                1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I love plastidip. It is amazing. And dip your car has some crazy products.
                  1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
                  1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
                  1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
                  19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
                  1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Tom, please be sure to mix/spray that stuff in a well ventilated area. A young man in Terre Haute was mixing some in his apartment last year and the fumes were ignited by the furnace. Sadly, he is no longer with us to regret that decision....

Comment

Originally posted by radi8u View Post
                      Tom, please be sure to mix/spray that stuff in a well ventilated area. A young man in Terre Haute was mixing some in his apartment last year and the fumes were ignited by the furnace. Sadly, he is no longer with us to regret that decision....
                      Wow, that's sad.

My current plan is to just plastidip the hood flat black, in my garage with front and back doors open for ventilation. The rest of the car I will paint with a color similar to the original light blue.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                      X